No S-Video connection?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 12th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

No S-Video connection?!

As a XL2 user I hook up to my 15" JVC broadcast monitor via S-VHS. I have no RGB connector on this machine (it will cost me another £400 or so to upgrade it) and as the A1 has no S-VHS and only paltry composite (which the monitor cannot accept) it looks like no A1 for me!
My thought was to start shooting SD in effect replacing the XL2, and shift to HD when required, now it seems I can't get a higher quality analogue output when using SD. Can you get RGB->S-VHS adaptors, and if so, how much degredation would there (notwithstanding the downshift from HD to SD)? I don't want to buy a LCD/Plasma HD screen, I bought the JVC coz its' a bloody good monitor and although my Mac can edit in HD, I can't actually see it other than on the Mac. Any thoughts??
Thanks in advance,
Oliver Horn.
Oliver Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #2
Wrangler

Just a slight correction, Oliver. What you mean to say is S-Video. S-VHS is an enhanced version of the original VHS tape format. S-Video is a connection that separates the luminance and chroma signals from one another.

I'm not trying to be picky, just thinking about how picky computers are. And if someone was, in the future searching the forum for information on s-video, we would want them to be able to retrieve it.

About your original question, there may be adapters but it will be more than a simple cable. Likely a box of some type.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

In the UK, a SCART adapter is included in the camera package.

Composite RCA to S-Video adapters are pretty easy to find, as Greg points out.

You should be monitoring this camera on an HDTV anyway! Heh.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Oliver,

I'm sure your monitor is good, but if it doesn't have a composite bnc input then it's not a professional monitor. Composite analog off the camera will work just fine. I highly doubt that anyone could tell the difference in picture quality between an s-video connector and a composite signal. You'd need a scope to really tell any difference between the two, especially for short runs.

Another option is to buy a s-video to composite adapter that radio shack sells. But then you're back to using a composite signal in the chain and you may not like that....

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lynn
Oliver,
I highly doubt that anyone could tell the difference in picture quality between an s-video connector and a composite signal. You'd need a scope to really tell any difference between the two, especially for short runs.

Ben
I disagree, I use a small monitor and the difference is big in my opinion. It is not about resolution but about the classic NTSC color artifacts that in S-VHS are not present due to the separation, particularly if the monitor is not too sophisticated. Having said that, I agree, it is not a big deal when used just for generic monitoring. For sure is not the thing that is stopping me from buying this camera (actually I bought it already, it is on its way) :-)
Gabriele Sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I agree with Gabriele, whenever I preview stuff via a composite signal the difference between an S-video signal is very noticeable for me. The image always looks more distinct and not as washed out in S-video. As far as connecting goes, I dont see the problem when you can easily get a $20 component to S-video apapter.
Jack Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The good thing about PAL, is in the OPs system is that our colour system is a tad more stable than the phase error prone NTSC system - There is a difference between S-Video and Composite, but on our system it isn't as distinct as people often assume. The 4 pin mini din connector most people now refer to as s-video, or y/c is still often referred to over here as s-vhs, not really sure why it stuck, but calling it an s-vhs connector here doesn't cause eyebrows to be raised.

I have not come accross any JVC monitors since the 70's that did not have composite in - many had composite and 8 pin, then morphed into s-video and composite. JVC monitors with RGB inputs only were medical products, if memory serves.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #8
Major Player

Use the BNC out with an (whatever-type) of adapter..
Old November 12th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Correction: No S-Video connection (!)?

Thanks for all y'all thoughts (Ahem). Sorry about the S-VHS s-video confusion, I'm in PAL land you see...
The JVC I bought is a TM-H150CGU, connectors as follows:

Input A
Composite
1 line,BNC connector x 2,1.0V (p-p), 75 ohms,negative sync,auto-termination, bridged output possible

Input B
Composite
1 line,BNC connector x 2,1.0V (p-p), 75 ohms,negative sync,auto-termination, bridged output possible

Y/C Signal
1 line,mini-DIN 4-pin x 2 Y:1.0V (p-p),75 ohms,negative sync C:0.286V (p-p),75 ohms (NTSC Burst) 0.3V (p-p),75 ohms (PAL Burst) auto-termination,bridged output possible

Input Slot

1 slot port for 1 input card for Component or SDI card RCA pin x 4 for input A and B,0.5V (rms).

So are boxes/units that convert RGB to y/c available? I still can't feed composite into this monitor. Can I convert composite to BNC? Am I better off saving and buying the JVC Component input card to get the best out of this monitor or will there be little visible difference between Composite and RGB at this size?
Load of questions I know, but I do really appreciate your answers, many thanks in advance.

Oliver Horn
(UK)
Oliver Horn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders