Canons Console Software - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:48 AM   #16
Major Player

Capturing A1 tapes with Console?

I just finished reading the Console user manual and it seems that capturing from tapes isn`t mentioned at all?
I have few tapes with recoded footage and imported directly to Premiere without problems but I thought I will give the Console a try. I guess that it just cann`t capture from tapes - I didn`t want to hit record button in rec window as it might overwrite tapes instead of capturing.

Now I feel stupid,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 06:25 AM   #17
Wrangler

Console allows for computer-based control of most camera functions including customs presets and for recording direct to hard disk. The job of capturing from tape is left for the capture modules of your NLE. Yes, if you have a tape in the camera while recording from Console, the recording will go both to disk and tape; any previous recording on the tape would be overwritten, so make sure the tape is blank!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:25 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi
I didn`t want to hit record button in rec window as it might overwrite tapes instead of capturing.

Now I feel stupid,
T
Na, stupid is not reading the manual and hitting the record button like I did. And so I can confirm that it will overwrite your tape. Oh well, it wasn't anything important.
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Console not recognizing A1

I just downloaded the trial of console, ver 1.1. It doesn't seem to recgonize my canon A1. Message in the message bar of the software says 'Camcorder is not conncted correctly or turned on'. I have the camcera in Ext Cont mode. It appears in My Computer as 'Canon Camera Storage Device', so the computer is recognizing it is there.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Richard Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Wilson
And so I can confirm that it will overwrite your tape. Oh well, it wasn't anything important.
I assume you left your tape in cam with the record tab enabled? Say it ain't so. :)

Glad it wasn't anything important though.

Bill

Come to think of it, back in the linear days... there was a JVC SHVS edit deck... I can't recall the model #, 86** or something... if accidentally executing an insert with the edit controller, it would do a video insert even if the record tab was removed. In assemble mode however that wouldn't happen. Weird. Surely that didn't happen with you
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Solved the problem with Console not recognizing my camera. I needed to update a driver. This software is great for checking out what camera settings do in (almost) real time. Not sure about the $600 price tag, but as a learning tool for the two week trial I highly recommend it :)
Richard Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:50 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Best Resolution

What is the best resolution and color space you can get when using Canons Console Software with the A1?

How does this compare with DV Rack HD and the Unix solutions?

Danke!
Estebe Verde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:53 PM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Console cannot change the resolution or color space of the Canon XH camcorders.

In many ways it's like a Canon-specific version of DV Rack though.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:05 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Console cannot change the resolution or color space of the Canon XH camcorders.

In many ways it's like a Canon-specific version of DV Rack though.
So unlike the HVX there is no difference between capturing on tape and direct to disc? The resolution and color space are the same either way?

Which offers the most control over image? DV Rack or Cannon Control?
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:14 PM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estebe Verde
So unlike the HVX there is no difference between capturing on tape and direct to disc? The resolution and color space are the same either way?
That's correct. Remember that the tape transport on the Panasonic HVX records standard definition video only. The tape transport on the Canon XH records high definition video. The resolution and color space are the same either way on the Canon.

Quote:
Which offers the most control over image? DV Rack or Cannon Control?
Since the Canon Console software is tailored specifically to the Canon XL and XH camcorders, it is (currently) the only software that can access all of the wide variety of image controls found within the Custom Preset menus of those camcorders. Therefore it offers more control over the image than DV Rack. Hope this helps,

Old January 21st, 2007, 03:25 PM   #26
Wrangler

someone else already asked this, but no reply forthcoming. does console function fully on an intel-based mac running windows? is anyone using this combo who can give us feedback?
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:49 PM   #27
Wrangler

i realize that it should work in theory, but it's always great to get confirmation before plunking down non-theoretical money....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:59 PM   #28
Regular Crew

The only difference between an Intel mac and any other similarly configured Intel platform is the trusting platform computing chip the Intel mac uses to authorize installation of OS X.

That's it.
Old January 21st, 2007, 06:15 PM   #29
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
Does console function fully on an intel-based mac running windows? is anyone using this combo who can give us feedback?
Hey Meryem, you remember when we met at the ComCast studio north of Denver last summer during the XL H1 road show? That was the demo station I was standing next to at the time... an Intel-based iMac running Console on Windows XP. Works perfectly! Guess we were too busy chatting about other things instead of checking out the iMac-based Console station... but it was there!

Old January 21st, 2007, 08:13 PM   #30
Wrangler

whoops, dopey me! i guess i was a little overwhelmed by all the shiny new toys...now that i actually own one, i'm paying closer attention! thanks for the reminder, glad to know it works so seamlessly....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders