Color Saturation - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 20th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #16
Major Player

I slightly drop the blacks in post in FCP and raise the saturation a bit-not too much. Not every shot needs this, but even with a customized preset in-camera, the post effects noted above seem to give the images more dimension. This is my experience mostly with Canon, not Panasonic. Panasonic presets seem already on the borderline of too much color. Personally I would rather shoot a flatter image and bump it in post. It gives you more creative options on the timeline.

I'm getting nice results when displaying on a 100" Sony Pearl Projector and the XH-A1 via component out and SD-DVD fom an HDV timeline in Final Cut.
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 02:41 AM   #17
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Williams
For what its worth I've pulled 24F footage from Kaku into After Effects and performed some pretty severe color corrections on it - far more than you'd ever want to on a real project. And I was shocked at how well the stuff worked. I think that's what actually pushed me over the edge to get the XH A1 rather than wait another eternity saving up for an HVX.
I've been debating this over at DVXuser.com in regards to CCing A1 footage and HVX footage. It seems that the A1 footage holds up SO MUCH BETTER than the HVX footage, regardless of the 4:2:0 compression.

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this!
Kholi Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Huntington
I slightly drop the blacks in post in FCP and raise the saturation a bit-not too much. Not every shot needs this, but even with a customized preset in-camera, the post effects noted above seem to give the images more dimension. This is my experience mostly with Canon, not Panasonic. Panasonic presets seem already on the borderline of too much color. Personally I would rather shoot a flatter image and bump it in post. It gives you more creative options on the timeline.

I'm getting nice results when displaying on a 100" Sony Pearl Projector and the XH-A1 via component out and SD-DVD fom an HDV timeline in Final Cut.
Agreed on both points. The DVX100's color-rendition was great. The HVX200 seems to shove everything a bit over-board. I am trying to find out how you back away from all the ultra-saturated colors.
Kholi Hicks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders