End Search after removal of tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 19th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #1
Trustee

On a somewhat different topic, does anybody know whether the A1 supports 'End search' after removal of tapes if you use Sony IC memory tapes, like the PD150/170/VX2000/2100 do support. The manual is not clear on that issue.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

(Split out from another thread)

Sorry, no -- that's strictly a Sony feature.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

So the 'End Search' button on the A1 (on top, under LCD) functions only on the current tape? Picture: http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxh/images/lcdtray.jpg

Confirmed on P32 of the manual:

"The end search function cannot be used once you unload the cassette. The end search function may not work correctly if there is a blank section between recordings on the tape or if you mix recordings in HDV and DV standards on the same tape."

As the method of Canon's end search is "rewind, then scan" I'm somewhat surprised that it wouldn't work on any tape as it doesn't involve any memory function like the Sony. Not a deal breaker in any case.
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #4
Contributor

The Sony only works if you use the tape with the memory chip, which costs more. I've had the feature for several years and never bought the tapes.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks for the info. Now I know that I no longer need to buy the IC type tapes, when I buy the A1.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

End Search on Sony

AFAIK, the end search works the same on the Sony as described above for the Canon. If you remove the tape and put it back it, it no longer works. But if you keep the tape in, it will work with any tape.

The IC tapes work even if you unload and reload the tape (in Sony camcorders only).
Peter Greis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders