GL2 to XH A1 Migration at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:00 PM   #1
Tourist

GL2 to XH A1 Migration

Hello to all

First let me say thank you to all the people that make this board possible, it has been a wealth of knowledge for me and it has also made me realize how little I know.

I have owned both the GL1 and GL2 cameras and like so many other people have been waiting for a camera to come along with the same basic form factor but with High Def capabilities.

My particular reason for choosing the GL1 and GL2 over other offerings was first and foremost the 20x lens. My wife is originally from South Africa so once a year we usually escape to one of the many remote areas Africa has to offer, and the reach of the 20x lens got me up close and personal to the little critters. I also do a few backpacking trips with my friends every year into the Sierra Mountains of California where I normally carry a wide angle adapter for the lens.

My reasons for filming are for purely personal enjoyment and consider myself an amateur with an expensive addiction. Anyway, two weeks ago I took the plunge and purchased the XH A1 from B&H Photo, receiving my camera a week ago Friday.

Upon opening the box my first impression was that the A1 was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Canon packages the A1 without the lens shade attached and holding it up next to my GL2 (with its wide angle adapter) the A1 is wider and taller but only showed about a 1/4 in. difference in length. I was delighted. I normally carry my GL2 in a fanny pack that I swing around so that it's in front of me. This way I can reach down and pull the camera out when I need it. I do 75% of my shooting hand held or on a mono pod. So into the fanny pack the A1 went, fitting snugly, with all zippers closed.

As a GL2 owner I was immediately overwhelmed by the buttons, switches, and extra knobs on the A1( this is not your father's GL2 ) but after a few days I was into the custom menu features and really appreciating the beauty of what Canon has done with this camera.

The focus, zoom, and aperture rings, make life much easier, and I love the "dial in" zoom speed wheel. As I got deeper into the custom preset settings, I knew I could now take shots that I would not think of taking with the GL2 . So outside I went filming anything that looked like a good test subject. My initial thoughts of the camera were that the build quality is definitely a step up from the GL2, and the LCD screen is actually quite usable "outside" I never used the LCD on the GL2 simply because you couldn't see it in outside light.

As far as I 'm concerned Canon hit a home run with this new lens. The wide angle aspect of it make a wide angle adapter totally optional not mandatory, and the customization of nearly every thing that moves on this camera or controls some aspect of the final picture, allows you to make the camera operate the way that is most comfortable for you. Being able to throughly tweak the final image allows you to create the mood or feeling you are trying to bring out in your video.

So how is the picture quality? Lets just say that I hooked the A1 to my friends 46" Sony LCD after the Sunday night football game and everyone was blown away by the images this camera produced.

If your a GL2 owner siting on the fence with "Analysis Paralysis" go for it, this camera will open up a whole new avenue of film making for you.

Frank
Frank Brocato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:59 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks for this report Frank. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Much appreciated,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 03:07 PM   #3
Trustee

You pretty much summed up how everyone feels about the camera- awesome!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders