DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon hard disk, isn't it? No -- tripod adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/80392-canon-hard-disk-isnt-no-tripod-adapter.html)

Alvise Tedesco November 26th, 2006 08:29 AM

Canon hard disk, isn't it? No -- tripod adapter

On page 2 of the Canon usa XH-A1/G1 brochure, bottom left.
What is that if not an hard disk?

Link to the brochure between sticky threads

Tim Le November 26th, 2006 09:22 AM

Are you talking about the thing underneath the camera? That's the TA-100 tripod adapter.

Chris Hurd November 26th, 2006 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If this is the picture you're referring to, then Tim is right, it's the TA-100 tripod adapter.

Bill Pryor November 26th, 2006 02:46 PM

By the way, Chris--thanks for putting me onto that adapter. It's great. I thought I was going to have to take out the screws in the bottom plate of the camera, but it's not necessary. There are four threaded holes waiting for the plate. It seems just as solid as the big camera Sony adapter plates I've used for years, only shorter. All these years of bitching about the 1/4" sockets on the XL1 and XL2 and nobody ever told me this existed until you mentioned it.

Chris Hurd November 26th, 2006 03:28 PM

Well you're allowed half of those years, Bill -- the XL2 is compatible with the adapter plate but the XL1 and XL1S were not.

Wade Hanchey November 26th, 2006 04:42 PM

What's the purpose of that adapter. Doesn't a quick release plate come with most tripods?

Bill Pryor November 26th, 2006 05:01 PM

Most professional tripods come with the 3/8" standard screw, and all bigger cameras have the same size receptacle. But the "handycam" style cameras all have a 1/4" receptacle. You put the tripod plate on the bottom of the Canon quick release, which has both 3/8" and 1/4" sockets. Also, if you have an XL2 or an H1, it will give you a better range of balance for those nose-heavy cameras. Since you can put the tripod plate directly onto the A1 with a 1/4" flathead brass screw, an adapter plate setup like this not really totally essential as it is with bigger shoulder mount cameras. However, if you're going to use different tripods and swap plates a lot, I think it's better to use one rather than putting on and removing things directly from the camera socket all the time.

Also, my experience with the XL2 was that the 1/4" socket was too shallow for standard size screws that were readily available. I was trying to mount one on an O'Cconor 50 (which is what I had with me at the time for a dolly). I didn't have enough washers to make the screw fit right, so I borrowed quarters from the soundman, wrapped them in gaffer tape, and made 4 little pedestals I taped to the bottom of the camera to works as a spacer. Crude but we got the dolly shot. My A1 will probably never go anyplace without the adapter plate.

Tim Le November 26th, 2006 09:59 PM

If I bought the XH-A1, I would definitely get the TA-100. The TA-100 wedge plate is much smaller than any fluid head wedge plate and it's much more solidly attached to the camera with the four screws. All other cameras rely on the 1/4-20 hole and the VHS pin to prevent the plate from twisting. Also if you're using a fluid head that does not have a separate sliding platform and relies on the camera plate to set the balance (pretty much every low end head except Sachtlers or OConnors), you just snap the camera back into the TA-100 without worrying about if you've put the plate back in the right spot to maintain your balance.

Wade Hanchey November 27th, 2006 06:29 AM

I'm still a little confused. I've settled on the Libec LS-38 which I'm pretty sure comes with the 3/8" screw. Does this mean I have to spend another $130 on this adapter plate?

Chris Hurd November 27th, 2006 06:50 AM

Wade, as described above, the TA-100 plate is like an insurance policy for your $4000 camcorder, and at $130, they're practically giving it away. You can't afford *not* to buy it, in my opinion. By the way I'm pretty sure the Libec LS-38 has a 1/4-20 screw. Not 3/8.

Chris Hurd November 27th, 2006 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Le
Btw, does anyone have the link to the company that makes an aftermarket accessory to adapt small cameras like the PD170 to the standard Sony VCT-14 tripod adapter for ENG cameras?

Oops, a change of topic there Tim. Try posting that question as a new thread in our Support Your Local Camera / Tripod Sticks & Heads forum in order to get more views and a better response. The link is http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Wade Hanchey November 27th, 2006 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
the TA-100 plate is like an insurance policy

Do you mean because it is more securely attached than a single 1/4" screw? I would have to agree with you then. According to Libec's European site, the LS-38 has a 3/8" screw so I guess it's a no-brainer for two reasons now. Anyone wanna buy one of my kidneys? So now, finally, to be perfectly clear ;), would the TA-100 replace the tripod's plate, or simply attach to it?

Tim Le November 27th, 2006 08:29 AM

Wade, usually most tripod plates come with a 3/8" and a 1/4" screw and you can take either one of them out of the plate if you wanted to. I'm looking at a brochure of the LS-38 and it has the VHS pin so I'm pretty sure it has a 1/4" screw with it too. Based on a photo from this thread (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...highlight=pic), it looks like the A1 has a hole for the VHS pin so technically you don't absolutely need the TA-100 if you're on a budget. The regular tripod plate could mount to the camera. The TA-100 is just nice to have. And yes, the main part of the TA-100 would attach to the tripod plate.

Wade Hanchey November 27th, 2006 09:27 AM

Thanks Tim and Chris. I now have the info I need to make an educated purchase. While the "insurance policy" would be ideal, I'll wait on it until I get the tripod and see how it works.

Stephen Sobel November 27th, 2006 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the Gitzo G2380 Video Fluid Head. It has 2x 1/4" Screws and a VHS Adapter Pin. I attached a picture. How does it compare to the TA-100?