"No Communication" in FCP - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:02 PM   #16
Contributor

Oops. Heheh...the camera is supposed to be in VCR/PLAY mode, not EXT. CONT. I had tried that already and it didn't work...but what I did this time was disconnect the camera, open FCP, click "continue" and let it fire up. THEN connect the cable, turn on the camera, and all is well. I used the basic 1080p24 easy setup.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #17
Contributor

OK, I got some clips loaded on the laptop yesterday and they looked out of sync but I didn't think anything about it because it's the slow iBook. But when I exported as a QT, they were, indeed, out of sync.
Old December 4th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #18
New Boot

Capturing 24F with FCP 5.1.2

Bill,

Although I usually work in 1080i60, your experience led me to do a test clip at 1080p24. My audio/video settings in FCP are consistent with yours with one exception - under Device Control Presets, I left unchanged the choice of HDV FireWire Basic NDF and I did not change the default frame rate which is 29.97. I know that is contra-instinctual but it works. I was able to capture a clip and the audio sync is fine.

I did note that in the interface between the XH A1 and FCP 5.1.2 there was an even greater sensitivity to the pre-roll/post-roll time. Make sure that your in point has at least 5 seconds of video before it and at least 3 seconds of video after when you select your in and out points when you log the video. When I set my in point without that amount of pre-roll time, it simply failed - no message, no indication of why. But when, using the same clip, I chose an in point about 7 seconds after the clip began and an end point with about 5 seconds of video after the end point, the batch capture went perfectly.

Although I don't think that the hardware matters, I am working on a Mac Pro. I hope these observations help you solve your problem in capturing the video.
Howard Kalodner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #19
Contributor

Interesting. Thanks for the tip. It could have had something to do with the minimalist iBook. I'll check it out on one of the editing computers when I have time. The 29.97 thing sounds weird. It came in at 23.97 OK with that setting?
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #20
New Boot

24F Capture and FinalCut Pro 5.1.2

I placed the clip on a 24F timeline and it played perfectly in the canvas. As a further test, I exported it to compressor and encoded it using H.264 (LAN) at full size.

I did a terrible job as a matter of photography - the background was better lit than my subject and so the camera, which I had left on auto focus, focused perfectly on the background rather than on my more dimly lit subject. That was entirely my fault. BUT, here is the good news, the 24F log and capture, batch capture and timeline all worked exactly as they should. It both sounds (sync) and looks fine (apart from my subject being poorly focused). Now I have to remember to turn on peaking so that I can tell when my subject is not in focus!

If I were not so embarassed by my error, I would share with you the H.264 version. It is, from the point of view of 24F capture, edit and playback, exactly what it should be. I assume that the explanation for the device control frame rate setting is that it is necessary as part of the firewire protocol.
Howard Kalodner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #21
Contributor

Yeah, the cable is always the first thing to check, especially in audio.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders