Gotta G1 Baby! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 1st, 2006, 11:09 AM   #1
Trustee

Gotta G1 Baby!

Just ordered a G1, (the G stands for "Grin"). Folks over at B&H were very helpful.

I'm ingesting/editing by way of Prospect on a Xena HS, and I'm very interested in seeing how the images will turn out.

I initially opted for two A1's and a converter box to take me into HD-SDI, as I would have been over budget with an A1/G1 combination. Then I realized that the HV10 deck has a lens and 1/4-20 threaded hole on the bottom to fit onto a tripod. In a multicam shoot, I only care about the second angle image and in the past, my multicam shots have always been well lit. (Should I need a third or A1, I can rent as needed).

I know the HV10 is not a true deck that it'll handle the HD-SDI side of things. But it's nice to have something to work with HDV on my desktop without having to tear down my G1 in-between takes and multiday day shoots, etc. as I've done in the past with the XL1s.

The biggest issue, as many of you may wonder, is just how good is the HD-SDI ingest vs. component and is it worth the extra $3K?

That question can only work itself out by how many hours of time I've wasted in the past trying to CC or key off of 4:1:1 and 4:2:0 content, including lost time in reshoots and going to Plan B when something didn't work.

Another factor is how much more VFX can I now add to enhance the quality of future work, etc. etc.

This is huge.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders