Trying to capture HD for the first time at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 5th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Trying to capture HD for the first time

I have captured DV with it to Premiere Elements before but I was going thru a Pyro A/V link. I now have a 4 to 6 pin DV cable and I'm connected directly to the PC. Open Vegas 7. Connect the A1 and turn on to VCR/Play mode. Vegas doesn't see it and on the A1 LCD it's flashing "HDV/DV In". Is this a PC problem, Vegas 7, or cam setup? Thanks.
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hanchey
I have captured DV with it to Premiere Elements before but I was going thru a Pyro A/V link. I now have a 4 to 6 pin DV cable and I'm connected directly to the PC. Open Vegas 7. Connect the A1 and turn on to VCR/Play mode. Vegas doesn't see it and on the A1 LCD it's flashing "HDV/DV In". Is this a PC problem, Vegas 7, or cam setup? Thanks.
sounds like a PC problem.. when you plug in your cam, it needs to be firewire cable, and I don't think you specified your cable type (the small connector but will have a little rounded shape to one side).

even before you connect in vegas, if you open explorer you should see your cam connected. the nice thing about the canons is that they don't need a driver. if you don't see it in vegas or even windows explorer, check the type of cable you are using (you'll need the firewire card / connector on your PC).

I think my A1 says hdv/dv in when connected, which is odd..I was going to look into this, but it worked as needed so I didn't.

hope this helps!
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 05:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Dave. It's a new firewire cable I just pulled from the package. I didn't try windows explorer. Odd about the HDV/DV In indication though. I'll try explorer when I get back home today.
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Open the menu and go to : Signal Setup : AV-DV: On.

Does that change things? Now it shouldn't flash HDV / DV In. Can you capture?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hanchey
In vegas 7 there is a different capture setting for HD vs SD. You are probably using SD capture. You can check by going to Options->Preferences, then click the Video tab. Use external video capture application should be unchecked.
John Hamlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #6
Major Player

Make sure the AV pyro is turned off when transferring. I can not transfer if my cam and the pyro are both turned on & connected to the pc.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Using the firewire cable direct to PC, I could not get the PC to recognize it. It wasn't a problem with the capture settings nor did setting the AV-DV to on help out. I hooked it back up thru the Pyro AV Link and it actually worked. I thought it wouldn't pass HD thru it but it did. It was a little flaky getting it to recognize it though. I'm not really sure what happened. :) Anywho, I captured some HD to Vegas and now I'm ready to play around a little. Looks like I may have purchased a cable that I can't or won't use.
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #8
Regular Crew

To clear the "HDV/DV In" message from the A1, try going into your PC's device manager and disabling the "1394 Net Adapter" listed under "Network Adapters".
Old September 24th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #9
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stern View Post

even before you connect in vegas, if you open explorer you should see your cam connected. the nice thing about the canons is that they don't need a driver. if you don't see it in vegas or even windows explorer, check the type of cable you are using (you'll need the firewire card / connector on your PC).

I think my A1 says hdv/dv in when connected, which is odd..I was going to look into this, but it worked as needed so I didn't.

hope this helps!
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I've just taken my Xh A1 out of the box so this is all new to me. My camera only shows up in windows explorer if I set the output to SD. In SD it shows up in windows explorer as a Canon Camcorder. In HD it disappears from windows explorer but does show up in the device manager as an AV/C Subunit and Device. Is this normal? Or am I missing drivers somewhere? I can still capture HD to the PC using the Canon Console software but unfortunately I also need explorer to recognise the HD feed direct from the camera firewire cable.
Ray McGowan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders