doing slo-mo in post with 24f footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 6th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #1
Major Player

doing slo-mo in post with 24f footage

Has anyone shot in 24f and then slowed it down in post with FCP or any other NLE? How were the results?
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #2
Major Player

I am assuming that people have tried it, but you wont get good results from it.

You should shoot in 60i with a high shutter speed, and then slow down. ^0i has much more temporal resolution to work with and you can get significantly better results this way.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #3
New Boot

They're pretty much like you'd might expect. Even with frame blending, it's stuttery if there's too much movement. If you have a slow moving object, you can go pretty slow and still get a nice look, but with typical motion, it's pretty obvious that it's been slowed down.

You could always shoot 30f or 60i and slow it down. Or you could try using something like Twixtor - I think they have a sample at http://www.revisionfx.com/rstwixtor/YDKM-10M.mpg. I've seen some nice results with it.
Spencer Lum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the replies ... I forgot about the 30f, that may be the way to go if you want to get that filmic look but still leave the opportunity for decent slo-mo in post ...
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'd also be interested if anyone has tried the slow motion in Shake versus your regular NLE. It is my understanding that you'll get better results, but I don't know how that translates in the various settings, i.e. 24F, 30F, 60i, etc.
Bill Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 01:38 AM   #6
Regular Crew

That slow mo footage is amazing, though really small, hard to tell what it would look like at a larger size.

Anyone actually use this app?
Luc Meisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 03:50 AM   #7
New Boot

I use shake for slo mo and it blows my mind. I'd put up some clips but I don't know how. I have small clips that show how amazing it is.
Gabriel Cowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 06:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I shot some "running brook" footage and "ctrl clicked" and dragged the clip about doulble the length of the original clip. It looked ok to me. I did not see "stuttering". This edit was in Vegas 7
John Huling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #9
Wrangler

I'm a PPro and AE user, not FCP, but shouldn't matter. If you shoot 60i at 120th shutter and slow it down by 2.5 times to get 24fps using a good deinterlace algorithm, it'll cut in very nicely with with 24F at 48th shutter.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders