Does the A1 read tapes from the XL1 MiniDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 7th, 2006, 02:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Does the A1 read tapes from the XL1 MiniDV

I'm looking to possibly sell my XL1 to upgrade to the A1, but was wondering if the tapes are compatible (meaning is it possible to use XL1 tapes in the new A1). I have a ton of stuff shot with the XL1 that I can't lose.
Insung Hwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 02:30 AM   #2
Major Player

The A1 is both a DV camera and an HDV camera. It accepts MiniDV tapes. You should not have any problems using your old tapes with this camera.

In addition, something I've been doing for years (because MiniDV tapes are sensitive to dirt/head clogs) is backing up my captured video files onto data DVD+/-Rs. That way, I don't have to re-capture my footage...just copy data. You can store about 18 minutes of DV footage per DVD.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Adam. I realize that the A1 will do both HDV and DV. But even in the Standard Def days (I know, past-tense!), different cameras didn't always recognize each other's custom format, even 'though they were all MiniDV. For example, some cameras/decks (like Sony DSR 20) didn't recognize Canon XL1's "Frame Movie mode." You put the canon "F" mode tape into a Sony deck and all you got were a bunch of scrambled pictures.

And most of my XL1 footage is shot in, what is now called (I believe) "frame" or "F" mode. I assume that this is the same "F" mode implementation the the new A1, and that this camera will, without any trouble, be able to read the old "frame movie mode". Just want to make sure, because if I sell the XL1 before I get the new A1, then I wouldn't even be able to capture anything to backup onto DVDs. Thanks in advance!
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #4
Contributor

I think you should check it out before you sell the XL1. I've seen several cases of XL1 footage that wouldn't play back on anything but the camera that shot it because of head alignment problems. But if you've played the tapes in question on something other than the XL1, then they should work OK on the A1.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Good idea. I'll take my XL1 tapes to the local camera shop and test it out. Thanks for the reply guys.
Old December 27th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Works on the H1...

...went down to the local camera shop and they were sold out of the A1, but had the H1 on display. I popped in three different tapes that were recorded on the XL1 using the 30F (movie frame mode) several years ago. Worked without a hitch. I'm assuming the A1 will do the same. I'll check again when the local shop gets a new batch, unless someone else can confirm this.
Old February 6th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #7
Regular Crew

For anyone interested

I finally got my A1 and tested the old XL1 tapes that were recorded in Frame Movie Mode. Not only does it work flawlessly on the A1, the LCD display shows the exact way it was recorded. As a bonus, previous recordings that were done as a "16x9 anamorphic" now displays correctly in the proper aspect ratio (not squished). Sweet.
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

They also work fine on mine. I think the concern is that some of the XL1's easily went out of head alignment. Tapes that were recorded in that situation might be a problem.
Pat Sipes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders