Focus issue solved, faulty camera now replaced - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 4th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #106
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Barbosa
<snip> Has anyone tried zooming manually with autofocus on... <snip>
Uh.. well, you don't really zoom "manually". Its always a servo controlled zoom, regardless of if you use the rocker or the lens ring. So if you zoom (using any method) with autofocus on, the pulsing can occur.
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #107
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Williams
So if you zoom (using any method) with autofocus on, the pulsing can occur.
Sounds reasonable. Anyway - has anyone TESTED whether the pulsing really occurs during "manual" zooms? Thanks, Sergio, for your proposal. I will test and report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leigh
There have been occasions where I'd like to rack focus and zoom at the same time (background landscape to foreground presenter for example).
Yes, that goes for me too. And there is no possible workaround - either zoom or focus. (Not true: We could always focus in camera and "zoom" in post - I'm joking).
Thanks, Alex, for your "servo"-explanation. Again, the manual should at least inform about this quite fundamental "zoom OR focus"-limitation. (No reason for indignation, fans: I would have bought the A1 just the same. Like Alex says: The image quality in 25F is simply too good to resist).

Last edited by Michael Mann; January 4th, 2007 at 02:39 PM.
Michael Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #108
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Toussaint

1. You can manually focus and zoom together.
1a.You can manually focus and zoom together and use Push Focus button on subject.

/snip

Normally always set everything on manual and use the push focus button if needed. Or if you want to use AF, not in the same time during the zoom, set cam to AF for easy focussing on moving object.
I need to come back on my early post on manually focus/zoom behavior, camera is back in the house and todays testing find out that you can not zoom and focus together. You can move the rings but one action (zoom) has priority over the other (focus). You can zoom in manually and push AF button but actually focussing is on the moment the zoom acton is finished.
Raymond Toussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #109
Major Player

Meanwhile I tested whether the AF focus pulsing also does occur while zooming manually (by zoom ring), as proposed by Sergio Barbosa. My first impression is that the pulsing is just the same.
Old January 7th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #110
Regular Crew

I tested it too, there is no focus pulsing. Only in badly lit, no contrast situations where an object is out of the center in the screen, and you zoom in, auto focus can't be easy found. This is understandable behavior, an object needs to stay in the middle, the two-way focus system tries one after one to focus, that is shifting in and out focus. It is very rare to happen, it is autofocus behavior. Sure you can manual focus in that situation.
Raymond Toussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #111
Regular Crew

Hi all, first time poster.

Reading through this thread it occurred to me, is the focus-pulse-during-zoom thing largely a PAL issue? An earlier poster touched on this but nobody seemed to pick up on it.

It just seemed to me that most (if not all) of the people who have complained of this problem seem to be from Europe and thus would be using the PAL version of the A1. Right? I haven't gone back through the entire thread systematically, but is it possible that the problem only exists on the PAL version, or is more pronounced on the PAL version?
Ben Hayflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #112
Major Player

Ben, yes, judging from the reactions so far the pulsing may possibly be more pronounced on PAL units. Tom Roper posted a short 24p clip (NTSC unit) that also showed the pulsing, but I found it less pronounced than the pulsing I get on my PAL A1. But to become more certain, we would need more reports.
Old January 8th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #113
Major Player

The focus pulsing is probably due to the lower sampling rate of PAL shooting compared to NTSC shooting. When stepping down to 24F the sampling rate is very low, hence the pulsing appears on the NTSC model at that point.

FYI, I've shot some 24F under challenging lighting/focusing environments and gotten pretty severe pulsing, worse than Tom's sample.
Old January 8th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #114
Major Player

Quote:
I've shot some 24F under challenging lighting/focusing environments and gotten pretty severe pulsing, worse than Tom's sample.
Philipp, if possible - could you upload a short sample of yours?
Old January 9th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #115
Major Player

It's fairly likely that the pulsing is caused by the motor switching back and forth between focus and zoom.

If this is the case it could be possible that in 24F/25F we're seeing a temporal artefact.

For example, if this switching happens at 30 times a second (say) then you wouldn't see it in 30F or 60i.

But you would see it in 24F/25F and to a lesser degree in 50i (although the interlace scanning would somewhat cancel out the effect).

So it's possible it might be invisible to the vast majority of users who are filming 60i...
Old January 9th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #116
Major Player

Interesting thought, Alex.
Could anyone of the NTSC users shoot and upload a short native demo take in 60i (slow zooming to the long end, AF switched on)?
Old January 9th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #117
Major Player

I don't have upload capabilities here, otherwise I'd try to get a comparison 24F/60i clip up.

I can say that I actually tried to get the effect in 60i and wasn't able to.
Old January 9th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #118
Major Player

Quote:
I don't have upload capabilities here, otherwise I'd try to get a comparison 24F/60i clip up. I can say that I actually tried to get the effect in 60i and wasn't able to.
Thanks, Philip. That is interesting to know even so.
Old January 9th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #119
Regular Crew

So does the pulsing happen in NTSC at 30F?
Ben Hayflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #120
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hayflick
So does the pulsing happen in NTSC at 30F?
We simply don't know yet in general, Ben. Therefore we would need more reports from NTSC users.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders