Beautiful Central Oregon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 9th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Beautiful Central Oregon

I have a number of gorgeous shots with the A1 from a recent trip to Central Oregon. The shots include stunning sunsets with Three Sister Mountain range and Smith Rock.

I am going to splice together a 2 minute reel with a lot of variety. I captured the footage with Cineform's intermediate codec. All was shot at 30F (my personal favorite).

Anyway, the footage is a great way to evaluate a lot of what the camera can do and I am willing to make it available in the highest quality possible, but I need someone to host the file.
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Major Player

I posted a 1440x1080 Windows Media file that is pretty compressed. If anyone wants to host a higher resolution version, please let me know.

For now, this version is up at www.lyonfilms.com/test_1.html
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #3
Trustee

Nice Footage. I'd be intersted in seeing a higher resolution version.

What was the music?

People on this forum are choosing such great music for their A1 footage samples.

Kinda cool.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #4
Major Player

The music is from the Gladiator soundtrack. If I remember, I think the track is "We are free" or something close to that.

Yeah, the footage looks just wonderful on my HD LCD in my office at the full resolution. The night footage turned out really nice, very low noise with the preset I used. Also, the camera seemed to do a great job of handling the sunset while retaining some detail in the dark, shadowy areas.

There were so many beautiful shots at the Smith Rock location, it was hard to just pick a few. The detail in the rocks, even those that are far away was surprising.
Old December 9th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #5
Trustee

Devon,

Really nice work. I was impressed. I also shoot alot of nature / landscapes and it looks like our shooting/editing styles are similar. I am on the fence trying to decide what camera to move up to. I am torn between the HVX 200 and the A1. I have viewed nice footage from both. Most of what I shoot goes to DVD. Do you have an opinion.

Regards,
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon Lyon
I am willing to make it available in the highest quality possible, but I need someone to host the file.
You've got mail!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams
Devon,

Really nice work. I was impressed. I also shoot alot of nature / landscapes and it looks like our shooting/editing styles are similar. I am on the fence trying to decide what camera to move up to. I am torn between the HVX 200 and the A1. I have viewed nice footage from both. Most of what I shoot goes to DVD. Do you have an opinion.

Regards,
I'm in a similar situation shooting nature footage. I Too was seriously considering the HVX and although I really like the concept of P2 media and an IT [tapeless] workflow I have reservations about shooting documentary style with the HVX.

I realize that there are hard drives that you can record to but I'm not sure the HVX is worth all of the additional expense, need for a computer to download the drive to and and overall more complexity compared to tape acquisition. Especially when you compare it to the quality of the images I have seen from the A1.

Before I saw any A1 footage I was sold on the HVX but now I'm probably going to go with the A1. I am waiting however to see the new Sony before making my purchase decision.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #8
Contributor

I saw some beautiful HVX footage at a festival in Chicago and became very interested in the camera, mainly because of the slomo capability. But the P2 thing wouldn't work for me--too expensive to have a DMD (Data Management Dude) and equipment on the crew and too time consuming, and expensive, for archiving the footage after the shoot. I decided to get a Z1, but then the A1 came out and I got it. After seeing the footage, I'm glad I went with it. The new Sony looks nice, but I didn't want 1/4" chips and the lens isn't wide enough for me.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #9
Major Player

Mark:

I imagine most of us are still authoring our files as standard def, and standard DVDs (I know I am). As a Canon XL2 user of 2 years, I can say that the A1 downrezed to SD looks better than my XL2. I capture using Cineform's Aspect HD codec, edit and then export full 1440x1080 via Movie>Export>Cineform. I then use TMPEGEnc (Tsunami) to create a DVD MPEG-2 at 720x480. Very easy work flow and looks MUCH better than using Adobe Media Encoder.
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #10
Major Player

Chris Hurd: I am not sure how to check mail...I know it sounds silly, but where is the mail?
Old December 9th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

I sent an email to you (at the address you used when you registered here) with our media server upload account information. If you prefer that I re-send it to a different address, just contact me by email: chris at dvinfo dot net.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I enjoy the footage a lot. Nice work.
Anthony Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 07:53 AM   #13
Trustee

Thanks Devon,

I appreciate your comment. In your opinion how does the A1 hold up on fast motion scenes?

Regards
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #14
Major Player

Chris: thanks, I now have the email and I will upload a much higher rez version after church.

Does anyone have good settings for Windows Media that will satisfy those who want to see the footage in higher rez?

Mark: the little bit of footage I've shot of quick moving objects seems fine. I shot a little of football and also a little of skiers. I just shot at 30F and upped the shutter speed to my liking. The motion looked fine to me and the still frames were quite sharp at the higher shutter speeds, even at just 1/90. Other than that input, I have not spent much time shooting fast moving objects.

Devon
Old December 10th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #15
Major Player

I pulled down my link do to the high number of views, but I did upload a much higher rez version to Chris Hurd, so I imagine if there is interest he can make it available.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders