Frame grabs from GA Aquarium at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 10th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Frame grabs from GA Aquarium

I went to the Georgia Aquarium with my wife and some out of town friends recently and took my XH A1 with me to shoot some quick 24F vids. Here are some frame grabs:
http://www.philipwilliams.com/XHA1.aspx

They're resized to 1280x720 in Premiere and saved as 50% quality JPEGs in Photoshop, so they're quite soft compared to the original frames.

I'll say this much, the Canon handled waves, splashing, bubbles, flash photography and dozens of moving fish with no MPEG issues. And 24F looks absolutely awesome. Any resolution hit is imperceptible to viewers. Motion signature is right on. Everyone that's watched the Aquarium footage and some Stone Mountain Park footage I shot thinks it looks like a movie. In the Stone Mountain videos, people have told me its like they're right there.

<EDIT>I've got a decent 60-70Mb WMV file about 2:20 in length of the Whale Sharks (quite a bit of banding in the gradients though; compression isn't kind to underwater shots).</EDIT> If someone would like to consider hosting it please do let me know.

And before anyone says anything, their is some massive chromatic aberation coming off the glass on the Beluga Whale tank. Its the glass wall, NOT the camera :)

Last edited by Philip Williams; December 11th, 2006 at 06:09 AM.
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

hey nice shots. i think i'll go to the aquarium and get some footage when i get the chance. did you have a problem getting close to the fish/whales/etc? how come your 2 min video is 400 MB??? what type of compression settings are you using?

just wondering because i have a few 3 or 4 minute clips with music/dialogue that is good quality and not even over 50MB.
James Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Carver
hey nice shots. i think i'll go to the aquarium and get some footage when i get the chance. did you have a problem getting close to the fish/whales/etc? how come your 2 min video is 400 MB??? what type of compression settings are you using?

just wondering because i have a few 3 or 4 minute clips with music/dialogue that is good quality and not even over 50MB.
You know, I was just wondering about that file size myself. Its an H.264 Quicktime, but its just so huge. I just used the Premiere Media Exporter. I think I'm gonna fire off another export to WMV before I go to bed and see how that turns out.

As for getting close to the animals, its not too bad. It was a bit rough when I went, but it was Sunday afternoon during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend and it was very busy. Get in during the morning hours on a weekday and I'm told you can pretty much have the exhibits to yourself.
Old December 10th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

oh good. that's what i was hoping you'd say. i'll probably go on one of my days off or something. can i just walk right in? because i heard you had to make a reservation or something due to all the people that come.

if you ever get that file size right please post, i'd love to see how it turns out being as you had to shoot through those aquarium tanks.

as far as the compression i used premeire a coupla times at work and couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get the files size to be smaller without resolution lost. i'm used to using FCP Studio for my video editing.
James Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #5
Major Player

You can check their website to see if there are available tickets by the hour. I'd say you could safely show up on a weekday morning without a reservation though. As a precaution, you could always call them up before heading out.

If you get an annual pass you can just go into the member's entrance and walk right in any time.
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #6
New Boot

Ga Aquarium video

I went there a few weeks ago and grabbed these clips from the aquarium. I shot in 24F.
Let me know what you think.

http://one.revver.com/watch/107162/flv/affiliate/38294
Monte Raynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Major Player

Hmmm. I don't understand why people feel the need to downsize their frame grabs. How do you compare the sharpness of one camcorder to another?
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Philip,

If your intent is to render videos for online web viewing and you use Adobe PPro, you might want to check out my blog post on this subject.

http://exposureroom.com/members/skumar.aspx/blogs/

Shiv.
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Fellows, you're replying to a thread from December 2006...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #10
Major Player

Wow, don't know how that happened. This thread showed up as "unread" in the clips area.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders