Image Pulses 2X sec XH A1? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 21st, 2006, 05:10 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Huling
Well the files would not open but yes once you see it you notice it everytime for sure. I shot some more waterfalls this morning all manual. I used your ice setting. Still get that pulsing 2x second in the rocks shadows especially large smooth areas.
Make sure javascript is enabled, cookie aloud, clear your cache completely,reload page, wait 1,5 minute, enter the 'hidden' code and dwnload.
Its quicktime.

BTW: the mov 24fhndyband.m2t from Iku shows the band witch guitar player and velvet jacket.
Raymond Toussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 05:34 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Can anyone else confirm that this pulsing or stobing with the Canon A1 is a GOP phenomenon? I am surprised to find no one finds it objectionable. A friend of mine shot with his 1/2 inch CCD DVCAM and I did not see this pulsing in the same footage shot at nearly the same settings on his camera on our HD monitor. I believe it was the 330 or 350 Sony
John Huling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:43 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Huling
I believe it was the 330 or 350 Sony
If the F330/350 was operating in DVCAM mode there is no GOP (all frames are independent). If it was set to 35Mbit XDCAMHD then that pumps a reasonable amount of extra bandwidth that will help to minimise any pulsing.

Almost all MPEG-2 shows a degree of pulsing. Often you can't see it because it looks like the part of the "grain" of the image, or it's mostly in the shadows which are crushed or softened by tube TVs.

If you look hard enough you can find pulsing on most HDV cameras - and even if you can't by encoding for DVD will add it (although try using an open instead of closed GOP to minimise the effect). It's simply a limitation of the technology and not terribly distracting if you ignore it.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:15 AM   #34
Major Player

I have to add, that normally I would hope that the GOP jumps weren't as noticable as it was in the Poppe clips - however...

HDV is a lossy codec with a limited amount of bandwidth to offer. The more moving detail there is in a shot the more that the MPEG compressor has to make "decisions" about what information they keep, and what they throw away. Particularly agressive motion on the Sony Z1/FX1 and Sony A1 shows up as large pixel blocks.

The Canon A1 seems to be able to handle fast motion better - but perhaps what we're seeing here is the flip side of that?
Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:57 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Is there a setting you or someone could suggest to help minimize this pulsing strobing thing? A starting point anyway that you could suggest. I really do appreciate your help.
Also, is it possible to minimize this in post as well, now that I have several hours of otherwise very usable footage for my project?
John Huling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders