XH G1 HDSDI to Decklink HD Extreme 8bit 4:2:2 test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 16th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #1
Trustee

XH G1 HDSDI to Decklink HD Extreme 8bit 4:2:2 test

Here is the file if you are interested.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #2
Trustee

Thanks Kaku. Long download but worth it. I needed something to compare/reference with my own G1 footage. I'm ingesting on the PC side via Xena HS into PPro. But will reserve my final decision until I install and test with the Prospect plugin.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #3
Trustee

Peter,

Glad someone gets use of it. I will find something better to shoot indoor next time. I also did 24f shot at 1080/60i and it looks good, too.

What do people wanna see for limitation of shooting indoor?
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #4
Major Player

Thank you Kaku. Download completed - but what file type is this?
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The codec used is the BMD 8 bit codec. You can download it from their website.
Old December 19th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito
Peter,

Glad someone gets use of it. I will find something better to shoot indoor next time. I also did 24f shot at 1080/60i and it looks good, too.

What do people wanna see for limitation of shooting indoor?
The footage from the raw capture I have with the Xena as mpeg into PPro, looks comparable to yours. I shot a bunch stuff that's otherwise difficult to see, and can easily pick out details such as finger prints on glasses, fine pitch print (registration and trademarks), and minor imperfections, scratches, etc.

Pulling frame grabs, there's 1/3 more data in images vs. HDV material, (no doubt I want to try this against a green screen and pull a key).

I won't be using HD-SDI all the time, but it sure makes a good arguement for the need of an on-camera capture solution in the future. In the meantime, I've strapped my Boxx workstation to an metal mobile stereo cart, (I have to replace the cheap plastic wheels with metal casters though). It'll do for off-site, local work. I'm getting off topic. When I get Prospect installed, I'll try another test.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 08:00 PM   #7
Trustee

Peter, thanks for your observation and thoughts and thanks Rodrigo for following up about the codec.

I shot some others before I had to return the camera so some more comparison shots between 8bit, 10bit, jpeg and DVCPRO HD will be posted later.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders