Lens compatibilty at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 18th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #1
New Boot

Lens compatibilty

Will the Century 2x extender that fits on the GL2 fit the A1 without an adapter?

Thanks

Keith
Keith Wiggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Keith, if you're referring to the 2.0x Teleconverter GL1/GL2 MKII, the answer is no it will not. That converter is designed for a 58mm bayonet mount. The Canon XH camcorders have a 72mm bayonet mount.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Major Player

er, I think the XHA1 has 72mm threaded front; the XLH1 has the bayonet?
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Chuck, all XL and XH series camcorders are equipped with both types of mounts (threaded and bayonet). The threaded filter mount is 72mm. The bayonet mount is of course just a bit bigger than 72mm. Likewise with the GL series camcorders... they have both types of mounts; threaded at 58mm and a bayonet mount that's slightly larger.

Old December 18th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #5
New Boot

Thank you Chuck and Chris. But ouch! That will make the decision to purchase the A1 more difficult. I use the 2x all of the time on my GL2. So that adds close to $400 to the price of a new camcorder. A serious consideration. I need to look at side by side comparisons between the two camcorders in SD. Eventually, I will want HD, but I am not in a hurry for it.

Keith
Keith Wiggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Just curious, Keith, about what you're shooting that requires double the available 20x zoom on these camcorders? A 2x teleconverter on an XH camcorder would give you a field of view equivalent to a 1300mm lens, in 35mm still photography terms.

Old December 18th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #7
New Boot

Chris,

Wildlife (the real kind, not parties). I take the camcorder on 2 -3 month long trips, often to warm and humid climates, sometimes to cold areas. I aso use it around home for wildlife. I actually keep the lens on the camera all of the time and pop it off when I need wider angle or am too close and would get vignetting. I do film a few plays etc. and of course do not use the 2x then.

Since I replied about the cost above, I tried to find a 2x converetr for the A1. It looks like Centurty lenses are available for other 72 mm cameras, but they did not list the A1. I am sure that they will have one avavilable soon. The worst thing though was the price!! They were in the $1,400 range!! That will keep me shooting with the GL2 for a while.

Keith
Keith Wiggers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders