Sharpness Settings on XH A1 = ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:48 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks, Che and Alex!

I guess I will do some test shots at -9 and 0, add sharpening in Vegas and compare these with native A1 footage at +6.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:19 PM   #17
Contributor

I've been using the No. 1 Cine setting, and I took the sharpness down a -2, I think, and pressed the black just a little. Looks great.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:39 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I like to keep sharpness at 0 or at -3. I think its too video-ish if you keep it all up.
Raymond Toussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #19
New Boot

Did some shooting over the weekend. Got some wonderful stuff and plan on posting it soon. I wanted to share some more about my experiences with sharpness and the A1. After much testing I decided to shoot with sharpness at -9 so I could tweak it in post. That way I wouldn't have to deal with a sharpness setting burned into my footage. Well it sounded good at the time but I got back and started importing into Final Cut and found that everything was soft. The strange thing, though, is that on my HD monitor, straight out of the camera, the same images are tack sharp. I thought there was a setting wrong in FCP but to my dismay the footage was importing soft in HDxDV as well. So, I thought I would go ahead and sharpen in FCP. It helped, but not without adding extra grain.

Later I did some camera tests at home and found that 0 sharpening does indeed look good in FCP and not too sharp either. What I deduce is that FCP is sharpening not only the original image but also any compression artifacts while the camera does its sharpening before laying to tape.

I still stand by sharpening only in post, just not with HDV. The format is too noisy and the compression is too lossy to withstand any sort of post sharpening. HDCam I would sharpen in post, DVCProHD I would attempt to sharpen in post but from my experience with HDV I'll let the camera do the heavy lifting there.

Below is the results of my tests. Cam set at:

-3dB
24p
1/48 Shutter
6.7f
-2 Setup
-1 Pedestal
Normal Gamma
Low Knee
Middle Black

Full res (1920x1080) FCP still frames are here:

http://www.chebutterfield.com/A1Shar...essSamples.zip

There are 4 files with the only changes between them being sharpening.
Attached Thumbnails
Sharpness Settings on XH A1 = ?-a1sharpnesstest.jpg  

Last edited by Che Butterfield; January 9th, 2007 at 11:30 AM.
Che Butterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #20
Trustee

Thanks for posting these Che. I think I will go for -1 in the camera from now on.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #21
Major Player

Tannks, Che, your results are very much appreciated. Yes, I also have the impression that your -9-plus-FCP-sharpening-sample shows more artifacts than your 0-samle.
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #22
Regular Crew

In agreeance with che, but then I turn to personal taste and for me -3 sharpness seems to give me the desired look I am after.

Nice tests by the way all.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #23
Major Player

Thanks Che. Very interesting. And I agree with Noel, Richard, Raymond, Bill, et al.: sharpness between 0 and -3 seems to give the most organic looking results.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders