A1 vs PAnny HVX200: noise levels at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 27th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #1
Major Player

A1 vs PAnny HVX200: noise levels

I own the Panny HVX200 and while I am amazed at the capabilities of the camera, I am distressed at how noisy it gets at anything over 6 or 9db. It also lacks black stretch, making it not as good in low light as other units. How does the A1 compare in these respects?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have both cameras. Out of the box the A1 is noisy. If you set the A1 gain to -3db and give it some light it will produce a nice clean picture. Both camera require lots of light.
Joe Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bryan
I have both cameras. Out of the box the A1 is noisy. If you set the A1 gain to -3db and give it some light it will produce a nice clean picture. Both camera require lots of light.
I had both and I have to agree and disagree a little. They both need a lot of light to produce amazing images. However I feel the A1 still produces acceptable images in dark situations where the HVX would look totally unaccaptable...and this is from using both.

IMHO.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You are right Marty.
I didn't answer the question. The A1 makes (in my opinion) reasonably noise free pictures at 6db. At 12 db you must use some noise reduction. That said it makes a really good picture all the time.
Joe Bryan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders