A1: Progressive Vs. Interlaced dilemma - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:04 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mann
Fergus, try to modify the default MainConcept-mpeg-template (HDV 720-25p) that comes with Vegas. Set frame rate to 50 fps (progressive) and increase the bitrate from 18.3 to about 40 Mbit/s.

For even better renders I modify the AVI CineForm template (HDV 720-25p Intermediate) that comes with Vegas.

I am sure the Vegas deinterlacing procedure is not BOB but something much more "intelligent", since the render - although it is "only" 720 - looses almost no definition/resolution compared to the native 1080.

By the way: I always use the Classic Media Player to play back the rendered 50p files.
Thanks Michael I'll give it a try when I get home.

Just wondered why 40mbs is necessary for 720-50p mpeg file? HDV is 25mbs - is it because effectively vegas is creating twice as many frames and you therefore need more bitrate to encode it as well as 50i at 25mbs? It seems a shame to increase the file size. I wonder what the effect would be of taking the 50p file into vegas and then rendering to wm9 25p? A more "progressive" looking encode?

Can MPC play back the cineform codec? I have a feeling my PC might be a touch underpowered (P4 2.8 1GB ram)

Do you think you would gain any resolution by going from 720 to 1080-50p?

VLC effectively does this process on the fly using the BOB deinterlace option (ie doubling to 50fps) - Linear seems even better but is very demanding!

Cheers
Fergus
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:34 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus Anderson
HDV is 25mbs - is it because effectively vegas is creating twice as many frames and you therefore need more bitrate to encode it as well as 50i at 25mbs?
Yes, I guess so, it's twice as much frames!
25 MBit/s does work, too, but my impression is that a little more blocking artifacts occur.

Quote:
Can MPC play back the cineform codec?
Yes, it can. But your CPU might be a little too slow. I use P4 3.4.

Quote:
Do you think you would gain any resolution by going from 720 to 1080-50p?
Yes, resolution would be still a little better.
But I simply didn't find out yet how to render to 1080 50p with the MainConcept/Cineform codecs. The codecs always crash in 1080 50p mode. If you find a solution - please tell me, since I am a resultion fan myself.

Quote:
VLC effectively does this process on the fly using the BOB deinterlace option (ie doubling to 50fps) - Linear seems even better but is very demanding!
Yes, I use VLC myself to compare native 1080-50i (VLC linear deinterlacing on the fly) with rendered 720-50p (MPC). My impression is that rendered 720 50p looks better in terms of motion definition and almost as good in terms of resolution.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 06:34 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks again Michael - the advice is much appreciated.
I love the look of linear in VLC but on my system it stutters a bit (hard to resist the temptation to go to a Core Duo!)

I'm interested to hear your views since I think that motion definition is very important to the overall impression of the footage - I will see if I have any joy going to 1080-50p mpeg2. You could always try WM9 advanced profile for 1080-50p which works fine for me (except my system struggles with that at high bitrate!)

As an aside I am having an issue with the contrast/brightness/levels of the footage imported into Vegas. I find that if I drag an m2t into vegas and do nothing the render (and preview) is always noticably brighter / washed out (even though the levels/brightness are set to 0.00) Have you experienced anything similar? I was thinking opf posting in the vegas forum as Im stuck as to why this is happening.

Cheers
Old January 2nd, 2007, 07:09 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
You could always try WM9 advanced profile for 1080-50p which works fine for me ...
Fergus, I never tried rendering to 1080 50p with WM9. Thanks for the proposal. I am going to test this.

Quote:
As an aside I am having an issue with the contrast/brightness/levels of the footage imported into Vegas. I find that if I drag an m2t into vegas and do nothing the render (and preview) is always noticably brighter / washed out (even though the levels/brightness are set to 0.00) Have you experienced anything similar?
Yes, I have, but only if I render to DIVX, XVID, WM9 etc. That's why I am a bit disappointed by these codecs.

Mostly I render to MainConcept HDV (.m2t) or to CineForm - both give me exactly the same contrast/brightness/levels like the native m2t. Even if I decrease the bitrates for .m2t renders to 10 Mbit/s, the levels keep unchanged, only blocking artifact increase. Please try rendering to .m2t or to CineForm and give me a short feedback how your resulting contrast/brightness/levels look.

Last edited by Michael Mann; January 2nd, 2007 at 08:06 AM.
Michael Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:36 PM   #20
Major Player

Well I have tried the mpeg versus wm9 test and you are right - the brightness is only increased on the wm9 encodes - very frustrating!!!

the cineform encode played fine in MPC at 720p so thansk for the tip! Filesize is huge though even compared to mpeg2 at 40mbs. For the filesize I think wm9 at 720p is a good compromise at 50fps as 12.5mbs seems adequate for decent quality. Its just a shame the brightness/contrast gets messed up....

Sadly I also have the error in vegas if I try mpeg2 in 1080-50p :(

Thanks again for all advice
Fergus

PS do you have Vegas set to progressive or top field first in the project properties?
Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:54 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
the cineform encode played fine in MPC at 720p so thansk for the tip! Filesize is huge though even compared to mpeg2 at 40mbs.
That's right. I only render to CineForm when I want extra high quality, or when the render is intermediate, that is part of another edit.

Quote:
... do you have Vegas set to progressive or top field first in the project properties?
I leave it in "top field first" mode, although I am quite sure it does not make any difference when rendering to 50p - I think I tested this once. (Better double-check it!)

Pleased to hear that you're satisfied with the results, Fergus! And good to have verified my own findings.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders