Tip: Access to Headphone Jack - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 12th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Bill-
your solution seems to be better. Thanks, will try it.
Jan Luethje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Luethje View Post
Thanks for the Bracket1 - Tip. Meanwhile I figured out another solution. I use a Beyerdynamic MCE 86 as Camera Mic and just fixed my Sennheiser G2 Receiver on the Top of the Mic. Therefore I use the shoe -not kidding- of a removable bicycle battery light. Works great and no interferences so far.
Don't made a foto of that yet. But I attached a pic of the earphone jack solution. Hope it works.
Now that looks good.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #18
Major Player

Here's an additional suggestion that I did on my XL H1... buy a tiny plastic box and two flush mount mini stereo female minis (from an electronics store) - mount the mini recepticles in the box and solder the output from the camera to them so that the Right Ch is on both pins of one and Left Ch is on both pins of the other. Mount the little box with Velcro, or glue it, to the side of the camera.

That way, if you use a wireless on one side and a good nose mike on the other as I do, you can quickly plug your cans in one or the other to monitor whichever channel you want.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Steve, would you care to upload some pics? Would love to see this device!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #20
Major Player

I can upload a pic of it on the H1 (I haven't use it on my A1 yet).. it's not so much a "device" as a simple little box.. but I DO like to be able to monitor my two inputs seperately, something I got spoiled with shooting with a DSR300 for four years... I'll add a photo in this thread later today...
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #21
Major Player

Picture attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Tip: Access to Headphone Jack-jack.jpg  
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rosen View Post
if you use a wireless on one side and a good nose mike on the other as I do, you can quickly plug your cans in one or the other to monitor whichever channel you want.
So normally you would hear the nose mic out of the right speaker of the headset and the wireless out of the left speaker of the headset? With this adapter you can plug in your headset and isolate each channel based on the input you chose?

If that is correct then couldn't you accomplish this with a similar box and a small switch to toggle them instead of independent input jacks?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #23
Major Player

Marty: That's actually what I intended to do, but I couldn't find a 2 position switch that would work at the store I was in, so I did it this way... Mine are actually wired mono because I have an old set of Beyer cans that I like, but generally stereo plugs would be better...
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #24
Tourist

A1 Headphone Monitoring Options

Don't know which thread discussed this, but for headphone monitoring, someone also mentioned assembling a Stereo to Left or Right adapter box so they could plug into the headphone jack to monitor Left or Right signals in both ears of their headphones.

Here's two options along these lines:
1) http://www.equipmentemporium.com/hdphmatrix.htm this is a selector box to monitor in stereo, left only or right only in both ears... about $100

2) http://www.worldofcables.com/oscatal...t/AUD-3010.htm a stereo to mono cable... you plug into the white to hear left from both ears or to red to hear right from both ears... about $5
Nick Slenkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Bill Busby's and Jan Luethje's two separate threads discussing this headphone jack workaround have now been merged into one single discussion.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders