Just Got A1- Best Film Look (35mm Adapter?) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #1
New Boot

Just Got A1- Best Film Look (35mm Adapter?)

I just got my A1, and while the 24f mode is great, after uploading onto FCP, it still doesn't look much like film. I mean, it looks good, but I was hoping it would look almost identical (even though i understand it can never be as long as it's video).

I suppose it's because of the DOF, so do you think adding a 35mm adapter such as the Letus35 would be a good idea? Does anyone have any other tricks as to how I can get it to look more filmic besides just shooting in the 24f mode and using proper lighting?

I'm somewhat of a novice with the camera since I just got it, but any tips on either filters from FCP or tweaks on the camera when I am actually shooting would be great. I love the look of film, and would love to get my video as close as possible, preferably without having to drop 750 dollars (for the Letus).
Jake Sendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Custom Presets

Have you had a look at the custom presets thread?

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=81071

There should be one of the presets (download them all) that will do the job.

Cheers
Mark G. Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #3
New Boot

Yeah, I've done that

I have all the presets from this site... I was looking for something in addition to them- whether that be tweaking some settings on the camera or adding things in post- any help would be great. Thanks
Old January 17th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #4
New Boot

Anyone got some suggestions?
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Get a 35mm adapter, get good at lighting your sujects, and practice good sound gathering. Then, most importantly, be passionate about what you are filming and storyboard it well, after these have all been done well, the user won't care or notice if it was shot on film.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm going to test my Go35 Pro out....it used to work great with my HDR-FX1, haven't tried it yet on the XH-A1.
Jason Michael Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #7
Major Player

Unfortunatly there isn'y really a magic potion, it takes a lot of work, but when done well, with passion, your images can be inspiring.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders