Buying an XH A1 in Canada? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 16th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Buying an XH A1 in Canada?

Hey guys, so my Sony HVR-A1U and all my other electronics were stolen 5 hours before my 6 months of backpacking in Europe trip was almost over. Insurance is saving my ass...

Anyways, the insurance company is letting me get a different camera model so I've decided to go with the XH A1. To the Canadians here, where did you buy yours? I bought the Sony from BHphoto, but the insurance company wants me to get it from a Canadian dealer. The Vancouver company, Kerrisdale Cameras that gave the quote to the insurance company does not carry the XHA1 so I've checked out Henrys and Vistek, Vistek has the lower price by $100.

Should I be looking anywhere else? Living in Prince George gives me no options to buy anything locally.
Paul Alberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Both Vistek and Henry's are highly reputable bricks and mortar as well as online entities. Oddly just a few blocks from each other in the heart of Toronto nearby the fashionable film district. They know their stuff with a slight nod to Vistek in terms of pro gear. The scales tip to Henry's in terms of their e-commerce savviness.

Take your pick. Both are quite good.

And if you are ever in Toronto you can spend quite some time at both given their proximity to one another.

Neither comes close to B&H in Manhattan .... they are the ultimate imaging shopping destination ...
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Paul, that SUX to hear about your A1, I am super sorry to hear that.

I bought my XH-A1 @ www.adencamera.com, they are an authorized Canon dealer so I would try there too.

The problem is tho since you don't live in Toronto you cant really walk in and try to bargain/negotitate price and buy ordering on the net you basically just end up payingn full price.

If you had a friend/family in the States perhaps you can get the camera from jr.com, the camera is goign for 3500$ USD shipping included which is an incredible deal IMO!!
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Paul,

There are three shops you may contact in Vancouver:
- Matrix www.matrixvideo.ca
- Leo's camera www.leoscamera.com
- Pro Vision video www.provisionvideo.com

Matrix quoted me $4400 and the other two quoted $4499 for the XH-A1.

Hope that it helps.
Paul Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #5
David Williams

Canon purchase in Canada

Hi. Paul. I have just found your question on this forum. I have been in Calgary a number of times and have seen a Vistek store there, although I have not had a chance to check it out. I have just gone by the store in my travels. I do not know if there is a website for this location, but it is maybe worth checking out. I hope this helps.

Dave Williams

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders