Understanding the "F" - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 18th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #31
Contributor

I think it works with anything. It's in one of the menus, I don't recall which. Something like DV scene detection, and you have to turn it on and then it will stay on. I use it exclusively now, then name the clips after the fact. However, I don't capture an entire tape at once. I usually set in and out points about every 20 minutes. That way I can copy the capture scratch files to DVDs for backup if I want.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Awesome thanks Bill! Good thinking to break it up for DVD capture scratch back up.
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #33
Major Player

FWIW, I learned years ago that the only way any kind of DV Scene Detection will work, regardless which NLE or capture method is used is that the camera the raw footage was shot on has to have the date & time set. If it isn't, it has nothing to detect.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #34
Regular Crew

And someone knows if the 24f mode works with Adobe Premiere? I am about to get the A1 and a dell XPS with Adobe Premiere and I've just read that Avid won't handle the 24f.

I am confused :(
John Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #35
Regular Crew

I'll probably put a spanner in here, but what the hell....

I'm not a lover of 24f (25f here). Its ok for scenes which don't have a great deal of panning shots in them, but after doing quite a few tests, 50i seems to give (me anyway) much nicer results. I'd rather deinterlace if needed, especially if you deinterlace using the 50fps option, although you do lose a little in resolution. I think running 50i on a 100th shutter speed works just fine and gives you a few more options in the editing stage, it also works great for slow motion.

Just my opinion.

Mark
Mark Rook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders