A1 Audio Q at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 21st, 2007, 09:53 PM   #1
Major Player

A1 Audio Q

I have two PD-170's and am planning to get the A1 shortly. My question is, can I record the 16-bit audio on my 170 and then sync it to the H1/A1 footage later in post without drift?
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:34 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi John. You will get some drift, because there are 2 different system clocks involved and each has a tolerance, but the drift should be fairly small. Whether it is a problem depends on the length of each shot and the criticality of the sync.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DeLuca
I have two PD-170's and am planning to get the A1 shortly. My question is, can I record the 16-bit audio on my 170 and then sync it to the H1/A1 footage later in post without drift?
I've shot events with my XL2, another shooters XL2, a GL2 and a mini-dv tape that the groom gave me from some guy that he had out in the bleachers and I was able to sync all of them with no drift.

The only time I've ever had a problem was trying to use the 'user bit' sync mode on a pair of XL2's, it worked but the timecode was off and went off after each powerdown.

You should have little to no issue.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:22 PM   #4
Major Player

I figured there would be some minor drift. I plan to use the A1 as an interview cam mostly. Is it possible to sync a high quality, off camera source like the Edirol R4 with no drift issues? It has more than one sampling rate if im not mistaken.
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:55 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi John. Drift problems will show on very long takes. If you don't shoot more than a few minutes at a time you should not see much, if any, drift. Main problem is to sync sound and picture for every shot, since the Edirol will not start and stop together with the A1. The sample rate for the audio A/D conversion should not affect the amount of drift.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders