Getting rid of noise - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 31st, 2007, 01:12 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Having experience with both Sony VX2K/PD & Canon A1, I feel that both camera's behave quite different.

With the Sony I had the habit to maintain a more underexposed mode (then f.i. the Auto modes ever would do), resulting in excellent detail, somewhat filmic colours and surely an acceptable noise level.

The Canon has a completely other behavior. It clearly needs the driven into a more explicit exposure to achieve an acceptable noise level in the image, certainly in the dark area's - but by doing this, it remains to my feeling somewhat more stable in the resulting detail & colours over the exposure range.

I can imagine that the signal treatment in the Canon is a little more advanced and solid then the Sony VX ever was - which is after all a design of quite a few years ago. Probably the new Sony's FX1/7 and V1 behave as different as the A1, but I have no in depth experience with this.
Dirk Bouwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:16 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey
I'm glad this is looking better for you. It still looks like you have the NR filter on. I would definitely not use that because it turns detail into mush.
Steven, it could be that in some images the NR is on. In the shot I went twice through the 18 presets that I found here. But between each preset I go the default setting (which is at the moment the low light setting which has some NR (it's default since the first days I only shot at low light))
Jeremy Naus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:19 PM   #33
Disjecta

It could also be the compression of the Web files.
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:17 PM   #34
Major Player

A great way to illustrate exposure and noise is to do what I did at Christmas. Put the cam in auto mode, including auto gain and start chasing a 3 year old around. With the cam stabilized, I was jetting around from low light to very good light. The effect on noise was profound in the recorded footage. The noise "melted away" as I approached well lit areas, and returned (as expected) in very low lit areas. Although grainy, I was surprised I got any footage at all in some of the nearly dark areas.

I spent some time yesterday with the A1 hooked up to a Dell Ultrasharp 24" LCD (2407FPW) via component HD, and started playing with presets. This is a great way to tweak settings as the 1920x1200 monitor does a good job highlighting subtle differences in noise, contrast, noise reduction settings etc. A few hours like would be very productive in looking at the preset differences, and seeing immediately how they change the A1's image.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #35
Regular Crew

I have removed the clips from my site since they were eating bandwidth.
Also since the problem is solved I deemed it unnecessary to keep them online :)
Jeremy Naus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:47 PM   #36
New Boot

Software for removing noise

Having dealt with this issue with still camera quite a bit, the best solution I have seen is now available for video cameras (www.neatimage.com). I have not tried it though. I would be curious to see it anyone has used it and if they like the results. It sure works wonders in 'still land' though.

cheers dave
Dave Mody is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders