First footage from new A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

First footage from new A1

UPS showed up around 7:20 last night, with the box of goodies from B&H. Figured I'd read the manual today to start learning the cam, but last night I just slid in the battery, put it on AUTO EVERYTHING (translation: gain city) and shot the kids doing homework and the cats doing their thing.

This doesn't qualify as beauty footage or anything highlighting the A1 strengths we've read about, but shows how you can slap it in AUTO and shoot in your backyard in the dead of night, capture all the grainy gain in FCP, make a few easy cuts, compress the heck out of it, and here's what you get:

http://www.mostlymagic.tv/demo/fooling_around.mov
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:15 AM   #2
Major Player

Great!

What a great looking family! Looks like you guys have a lot of fun!

Excellent piece, especially with the A1 just coming out of the box.
John Inman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Its great to see what the A1 can do right out of the box especially in low light.

I've bee debating the merits of A1 vs V1. This helps

nice family too.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Low light footage is AMAZING! Moving my timetable up on getting one of these. Have 2 Hv-10s now. Xh A1 as main camera will do me very well I think.
Ryan Kingston (Guest) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

is that 24f or 60i?
Mark Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the nice comments. This owner's manual is DENSE in terms of things you can do. I'm compiling my list of questions as I go, but suffice it to say there are a lot of things you can do to enhance the image in many situations. The hard part will be remembering it all when you're in the field!

This was shot in 24f. Shot some 60i last night, very clean footage, brighter, better exposure, auto-focus seems to be better than in 24 (but let's face it, NO af system does that well in very low light...).

Going to shoot some exterior stuff this weekend, hopefully will have something nicer to post soon. Next assignment: I have to figure out how to download and install the presets here!
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 01:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Jeff looks like we on the same A1 learning curve. Just got mine in a few days ago and first shots yesterday and some today. been reading through the book all morning and yeah wow, lots to learn!!!
Mark Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #8
Major Player

Nice Bossa music in the backround. Beautiful family!
Enjoy your A1 can't wait to get mine.:-)
Kajito Nagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #9
Major Player

Very nice quickie!

Do you view it uncompressed on a HDTV?

How did it look? Hard to tell so compressed.

Im just curious how a fast full auto shoot looks.
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #10
Major Player

That's great! Really enjoyed watching this. Seems like there's always a lot happening in your household Jeff.

I'm amazed at how well lit everything looks. Like you have proper studio lighting all through the house. How powerful are all your light bulbs? Even the light in the backyard appears quite strong. I couldn't notice any noise, just the usual compression artifacts, which don't look too bad either considering the size of the file.
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi guys, thanks. Re: viewing it in uncompressed HDTV -- no, didn't do that, just fullscreen on a 30" computer monitor, and it looks pretty nice. Most lights in the house are on dimmers, and it could have looked better if I'd dimmed some lights and balanced it a bit, but I was just playing around with it. Have been experimenting some, and there's a lot to learn with experiments, for sure. Will post another couple clips...
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders