URGENT! Sony HDR-FX7E PAL footage on a Canon A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 10th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #1
Major Player

URGENT! Sony HDR-FX7E PAL footage on a Canon A1?

I have some footage shot with a German bought Sony HDR-FX7E in PAL and I need to capture it with my Canon A1.

It was shot as 1080i/50. Does anybody know if I bought the PAL upgrade for the Canon if it will be able to play this tape?

I have to figure out a soltion asap. Thanks!
Old February 10th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Assuming you have the NTSC 60i model now, then yes, the PAL 50i upgrade will allow you to play 1080i HDV tapes from Canon or Sony 50i HDV camcorders. However, keep in mind that the upgrade cost is $500. I think it would be more practical and much less expensive for you to simply hire a service to do the capture for you.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Chris.

I am attempting to be that service. I must have been delusional, as I thought the conversion was $100.

Cheers!
Old February 10th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Well if you ask me, I think the conversion *should* be $100. But unfortunately it ain't.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Lucido
I have some footage shot with a German bought Sony HDR-FX7E in PAL and I need to capture it with my Canon A1.

It was shot as 1080i/50. Does anybody know if I bought the PAL upgrade for the Canon if it will be able to play this tape?

Short answer: most probably not.

Long answer: but maybe a Sony NTSC HDV camcorder would work.

Sony DV camcorders have had the ability to PLAY (not record) both PAL and NTSC tapes since the time of the PC1. Sony never advertised that feature, but it simply works.

I don't know the situation for HDV, but I did the following tests (I have PAL equipment and some DV tapes recorded in NTSC):

-tried a NTSC DV tape in the PAL Sony HC1, it played it perfectly (even indicated "NTSC" on the monitor)
-tried the same NTSC DV tape in the PAL Canon A1, the screen goes black with a red warning "Incorrect tape specification".

I can't do the same test for HDV tapes, because I do not have a NTSC HDV tape, but maybe your solution would be to borrow a Sony camcorder for the transfer. It is worth a try...
Jerome Marot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #6
Major Player

IIRC, the Sony Z1 will play and record HDV in either 50i or 60i. How much to hire one of them for half a day?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders