XHA1 Firewire Problem! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 11th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XHA1 Firewire Problem!

I have two of these cameras but only one will connect to my computer via the firewire. In FCP when you go into the capture screen, camera 1 works as normal, "device is found" and capture works. But on camera 2, when you plug in the firewire the "HDV/DV input" text just keeps flashing on and off as well does the channel 1/2 in the upper left hand corner. The computer says no device is connected.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is my firewire port on the XHA1 fried?
Joe Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

It's perfectly normal and nothing is malfunctioning. You can have only one connected and recognized at a time. It has to do with the FireWire bus; the camcorder must be in position 1 on that bus, and there's only one position 1. One camera wins that position and the other loses. It's not a problem of the camcorder; it's just a limitation of the FireWire bus.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't have both cameras connected at the same time. I'm trying each camera separately.

So I hook up camera one. Works as it should. I disconnect that camera and connect the other camera an that is when i see - "HDV/DV in" text just keeps flashing on and off as well does the channel 1/2 in the upper left hand corner. The computer says no device is connected
Joe Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #4
New Boot

obscure solution

Joe, this is a little obscure, but it might be relevant. I heard a Canon rep say once in relation to firewire issues and the A1 that you must set the camera's date and time setting. You can experience problems if it's still in its default setting. I know, it seems absurd, but give it a try.
Mark Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Can't wait to see how this works out!
Estebe Verde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Montgomery
Joe, this is a little obscure, but it might be relevant. I heard a Canon rep say once in relation to firewire issues and the A1 that you must set the camera's date and time setting. You can experience problems if it's still in its default setting. I know, it seems absurd, but give it a try.
That IS absurd. I would think the only relevance to setting the date & time would be so TOD TC will work for NLE's that have a DV Scene Extraction (or similar named) process. But firewire itself? Hardly likely.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I am not sure about the A1, but with the older Canon Gl1 & Gl2 when the "DV" (I can't remember exact text) flashed instead of staying on steady when connected it meant we has a firewire port that was blown. You can also check the system profiler in the mac OS--under the apple menu scroll to "about this mac" and click the "more info" button. Next click on"firewire" and look to see if the camera apppears in the pane to the right. You can see what it will look like with your other camera connected. We had a FW problem a while back with the Z1's. DO NOT TAKE THE CAMERA TO OTHER COMPUTERS !!! If it's not a big deal get it to Canon to check. The experience I had was moving the camera from one computer to another and then testing with a second camera, and a third computer. Long story short was 2 dead camera ports and 3 dead computer ports in less than 30 minutes.

But I hope it's the time and date setting, as ridiculous as it sounds.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders