Matching A1 to Sony FX1/Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 16th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Matching A1 to Sony FX1/Z1

I was wondering if anybody has created a preset for matching an A1/G1/H1 to a Sony FX1/Z1, or able to give me any advice on how to go about creating one myself?

Thanks
Old February 16th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #2
Contributor

Well, the Z1 has setup capability similar to the Canon, so it would depend on how the particular Z1 was set up. I think you'd have to have both cameras and tweak them together to get a reasonable match.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Go Cycle

The closet I have come to the look is by playing around with a little more introduction of BLUE and increasing saturation and lowering the blacks slightly. Not quite there yet.

LOU
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #4
Major Player

I have actually been playing around with it this afternoon and think that the default settings are really close. I took footage from both cameras into FCP and applied a CC 3-way filter to the xha1 footage pulling down the mids a bit and boosting the saturation just a little. Looks pretty good. Manual white balance of course.
Old February 17th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #5
Wrangler

that's been our experience as well, to match them in post-, and we did pretty much what you did with the CC...i haven't had time to play with the A1 at all and had just set it up straight out of the box on a shoot as an experiment in collecting some raw footage, as a third camera. we also did some sound tests versus the XL2, which i have not had time to examine. i was surprised at how closely the A1 and the FX-1 matched. if i ever find time to actually do a few experiments with the camera, i'm pretty sure it won't take much tweaking to get them close to each other--unless someone beats me to it and posts a pre-set here! that would save some time...

too many experiments, not enough time to monitor the outcomes!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

This is all good news to me, as I will soon have full access to a pair of G1's to work with my FX1. I won't actually own them, though. :-(

I was a little nervous about mixing the Canons with the Sony but the more I read the better I feel. Sounds like it will be much, much easier than trying to match my FX1 with HC1 footage!
Stephen Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #7
Tourist

Go to www.fxsupport.de. There's a comparison between the A1 and the Sony FX7 with many clips...
Matthias Miemczyk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders