A1 ME66 Mic Bushing? Anyone Interested? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:47 PM   #1
New Boot

A1 ME66 Mic Bushing? Anyone Interested?

I have access to a Machinist and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a nylon bushing for ME66 mic to allow it to be mounted on the stock A1 microphone mount? I could even go so far as to dye the bushings black to match the camera. Beyond the bushings, I've been thinking about having my friend turn out some custom parts for use on the A1. Anyone have any suggestions about custom A1 parts they would like/need?

Tom
Tom Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:58 PM   #2
Wrangler

I just got my A1 delivered this afternoon. I haven't even tried hooking up my ME66 but I'm assuming it doesn't fit the stock mic mount.
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #3
Trustee

For the very few times I mount a mic to the camera instead of a boom,
I use a shock mount to isolate the mic from the camera.
So no, a bushing would be of no use to me.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I was wondering about that very thing last night - I would be interested - but for a Rode NTG-2. Similar diameter?

I may just use a bunch of bubble wrap though...

Jim
James Collinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #5
Major Player

o-rings and right angle xlr plugs

I bought a pack of #15 o-rings from Home Depot for $2.00. You get 10 which will do 2 mikes. I used 5 o-rings but you could get by with 3. They seemed a bit tight in the mount but after a day they didn't. The end of my ME-66 didn't show up in the frame except when I used a Rycote softie.

I tried another less expensive mike muff but it didn't work to kill wind noise. So, I bought the Rycote and the Sennheiser hot shoe rubber band shock mount which fits on the hot shoe. That works well and the mount only cost $30 plus shipping.

However, I didn't like the way the xlr cable stuck out from the camera body and tried to find a 1' xlr cable with right angle xlr plugs on both ends, one male and one female. I had to make one because I couldn't find one online. There are some with one female right angle connector at the mike end, but I wanted both ends to turn so the cable is more out of the way and less likely to catch on something.

The male end at the microphone jack is plugged into ch1 and I rotated the inside part so the cable portion goes straight up instead of back, which would interfere with the tape compartment door and my hand.

Now I have a workable system that uses a 1' long xlr cable that doesn't get in the way and doesn't touch anything, which could cause noise transmission to the microphone.

If I use another stick mike for interviews, I'll just plug a regular cable into ch2.

Last edited by Larry Vaughn; February 24th, 2007 at 09:36 PM.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Vaughn
I bought a pack of #15 o-rings from Home Depot for $2.00. You get 10 which will do 2 mikes. I used 5 o-rings but you could get by with 3. They seemed a bit tight in the mount but after a day they didn't. The end of my ME-66 didn't show up in the frame except when I used a Rycote softie.

I tried another less expensive mike muff but it didn't work to kill wind noise. So, I bought the Rycote and the Sennheiser hot shoe rubber band shock mount which fits on the hot shoe. That works well and the mount only cost $30 plus shipping.
Good solutiion with the O-Rings. I saw a video site that was charging $15 for a 5 pack--rediculous. Mayber that is why they are #15 ! If you still have the need to use a rubber band shock mount or get the wind muff out of the shot then check out the link in my signature. It works perfectly for your applications mentioned above.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:48 PM   #7
New Boot

Jeff,

Nice product plug.

I'm not talking about selling something here, I'm strictly asking is there a common one-off need that people have that's not being met buy a product that is currently available. If there is, then lets have a few of "it" made.

Tom
Tom Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi, I used a piece of 1" to 1.25" wide velcro with an adhesive back and with a rycote softie on my me66 it works fine with no intrusion into the lens. I do hear zoom motor noise when zooming fast but other than that it is ok.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders