Backfocus problem? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 28th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Backfocus problem?

I work as a videojournalist and have a A1 PAL version. I had problems with blurry faces shooting 4:3 SD just like Jan Luethje. Havenīt looked at HDV on a monitor yet.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=87214
My professional collegues, that shoot 2/3' P2 cameras thinks the camera has a backfocus problem, similar to the one of Sony PD150, after testing it.

Has anybody else noticed backfocus problems?

(Test it by for instance focusing manually close up on somebodys eyes, zoom ut while leaving the focus unchanged. For me, the focus ended up on the ears or shoulder after zooming out instead of the eyes. The picture was blurry too)

Thanks Erik
Erik Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Contributor

Back focus was the first thing I checked out, and mine is fine. It could be you have one with a problem. I would go back to where you bought it asap.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I thought the a1, had the type of lens that needs to be refocused after zooming?
John Brinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:15 PM   #4
Contributor

No. You use it like any other lens--zoom in and get critical focus, then zoom back to where you want to be for the shot. If it doesn't stay sharp, there's a problem.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 01:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Mine definitely needs to be refocused after zooming... if i go from a wide shot to a closeup, the focus changes completely.
John Brinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 01:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brinks View Post
Mine definitely needs to be refocused after zooming... if i go from a wide shot to a closeup, the focus changes completely.
It is the other way around, zoom in first and then pull out, it should be in focus, if not then back focus is off, if you focus at wide and then zoom in, all camera will be out of focus.
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Send it back to Canon for check

I let you know what Canon says. /Erik
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #8
Tourist

returned G1

I had the same back focus problem with my G1 and returned it. I've had no problems with the new G1. You should send your camera back immediately.
Lynn King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I had it repaired

Canon adjusted the focus, now it seems better. Only tested a few minutes the other day. But I'm not that impressed by the DV quality. Tricky too make it look good. I think I shoot HDV and downconvert only - takes some time to process though.

/Erik
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #10
Major Player

can you upload a sample of said DV?
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:26 PM   #11
Major Player

Mines displaying a back focus problem as well. I'm going to take it into Canon to see what they say about it. I guess for now I'll have to live with manual focus for this next gig I have coming up.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:53 PM   #12
Contributor

If you lose focus in auto focus but it stays shap in manual, that's not a back focus problem--that's shooting with auto focus on. Make sure it's off. Zoom in, get your critical focus, zoom back to wide and it should be in focus. If not, then you have a back focus problem and it should be sent in for adjustment. The only way you can shoot with auto focus on is if you compose with things centered in the frame.

As far as not looking good in DV...I've shot qite a bit of DV, 24F footage for a couple of people and it looks great.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders