Footage from 1st day with my new Canon A1... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 1st, 2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Footage from 1st day with my new Canon A1...

Well, let me first give my impressions... WOW! WHAT A CAMERA!

I'm not making a review here because #1, I haven't even came close to exploring all this camera's features. Just took it around town yesterday and shot some stuff. I'm certainly not used to having total control with a camera and also having MOST of the controls at my finger tips!

It is heavier, awkward (hell, I'm used to the Sony HC1!!!!), but will definitely be able to adapt to it. Practice makes perfect.

I'm posting the 2nd clip I made from yesterday. Note that all of this clip is handheld. I was rushed to get these shots and such, so just bear with it. Also, most of this is NOT color corrected and if it was, it was just a tad and not much at all...

www.jcdv.com/WMV/A1_day1_B.wmv

UPDATED: Made a preset to mimick my Sony HC1 color. Pretty good. I need to lower the sharpnes though (I bumped it up too much.)
DAY2:
www.jcdv.com/WMV/A1_day2.wmv

Feel free to comment.

Last edited by Jerome Cloninger; March 2nd, 2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Added new clip
Jerome Cloninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Thanks for posting the clip. I have not looked at it yet, but I'm very interrested in your findings/feelings/opinions on this camera, since you are coming from the Sony HC-1 - the camera I currently own. I find that , because of compression , etc, files downloaded aren't capable of fully showing what a camera is capable of.
I have been very happy with the HC-1. While more control better image quality-especially low light would be nice, I love its size - not too light, but still small enough to be quick on the go and to pack for a trip. I have been waffling about upgrading to either the Cannon A1 or the "Sony V-1. I like the 3x1/3" size of the CCD as it allows for more depth of field effect then the 3x1/4" Cmos sensors in the V-1. The HC-1 has 1x1/3" cmos imager. That said, I have been very impressed with the very natural contrast and range of the cmos versus other camcorders I've had with ccd immagers. Anyways thanks for posting the clip and have fun with your wonderful new A-1. Good Luck - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

WoW, Nice footage

Was it shot in 24F? SD or HDV? and how high you went on the gain?
Thanks

QUOTE=Jerome Cloninger;634413]Well, let me first give my impressions... WOW! WHAT A CAMERA!

I'm not making a review here because #1, I haven't even came close to exploring all this camera's features. Just took it around town yesterday and shot some stuff. I'm certainly not used to having total control with a camera and also having MOST of the controls at my finger tips!

It is heavier, awkward (hell, I'm used to the Sony HC1!!!!), but will definitely be able to adapt to it. Practice makes perfect.

I'm posting the 2nd clip I made from yesterday. Note that all of this clip is handheld. I was rushed to get these shots and such, so just bear with it. Also, most of this is NOT color corrected and if it was, it was just a tad and not much at all...

www.jcdv.com/WMV/A1_day1_B.wmv

Feel free to comment.[/QUOTE]
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Mayo View Post
Was it shot in 24F? SD or HDV? and how high you went on the gain?
Thanks
Shot in 60i HDV. Most was shot with 0db gain, there is some 3db, 6db, and 12db (12db at the sign by the highway, and once looking at the 2 buildings that I remember.)
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Great looking footage. I also checked out your website. Very nice wedding shots. What stabilizer and camera were used? Enjoy the A1. Getting my soon!
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

wow

I dont know why but those shots have the feeling of 24f, they looked very filmic to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger View Post
Shot in 60i HDV. Most was shot with 0db gain, there is some 3db, 6db, and 12db (12db at the sign by the highway, and once looking at the 2 buildings that I remember.)
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:32 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post
Great looking footage. I also checked out your website. Very nice wedding shots. What stabilizer and camera were used? Enjoy the A1. Getting my soon!
Thanks Jim! EVERYONE of those clips on my site was shot with 3 Sony HC1 cameras. Stabilizers used in order of use: Tripod, Hand, Glidecam 2000.

You'll like the A1.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:33 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Mayo View Post
I dont know why but those shots have the feeling of 24f, they looked very filmic to me.
Perhaps some did if I slowed them down in post which results in slight motion blur... or your computer was dropping frames during playback. Play it and look at the statistics on playback... it will tell you actual framerate from the player.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:57 PM   #9
Major Player

NICE stuff with the HC1. I have a sony A1U but never got shots like that. You are definately using it to the max!

Looking forward to the Canon A1.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:21 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post
NICE stuff with the HC1. I have a sony A1U but never got shots like that. You are definately using it to the max!

Looking forward to the Canon A1.
Just added a new clip... check out the original post.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 05:40 PM   #11
Major Player

very nice. looks similar to the A1U
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Nice indeed. What music was that in day 2?
Ron Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lemming View Post
Nice indeed. What music was that in day 2?
Thanks Ron. I have no idea what it was. Someone submitted it for a wedding video once, but I didn't use it on that... didn't "fit".
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Jerome, could you post your HC1-like preset setting? Thanks!

Oops, just saw you have posted it in another thread, sorry.
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Jerome, could you post your HC1-like preset setting? Thanks!

Oops, just saw you have posted it in another thread, sorry.
No problem... I'll do it here too. BTW, I posted this clip in this thread before I ever realized the forum for all the A1 clips (which there are a ton)

Here's the preset (with sharpness turned down from what was in this clip.. on a 1080 TV, it was too high, but its fixed now.)

http://www.jcdv.com/PRESET/PRESET20.CPF
I called it HC1day

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders