Component Out to "old" Computer Monitor - possible? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 8th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #1
New Boot

Component Out to "old" Computer Monitor - possible?

Hi,
in a TV-repair shop, I saw a 21 inch Nokia tube computer monitor, which has a RGB input via 3 BNC connectors.
I am still waiting for my A1 for being delivered, but I am already curious:
Can the hi-def component out of the A1/G1 being hooked on RGB-BNC of a computer Monitor via the supplied DTC-1000 adapter cable?
Besides the capability of the monitor itself to "eat" 1080/1920 at 50/60hz, are the levels of Canon component out and levels of RGB input in the computerīs world in the same?
Would be the cheapest way for monitoring, at least if one only likes to judge sharpness...

All the best, Salar
Salar Ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Salar. The component output of the A1 is not RGB, it's more like YUV or YCrCb or something.

The Y output of the A1 would have to be connected to the G input of the monitor, because those are the lines used to carry the sync pulses. Most likely the voltages would be close enough, but....

If the monitor did happen to support the 1080i resolution, and you did actually get an image on the monitor, the colours would be all wrong, because YUV and RGB are quite different. Personally, I would take a look at the new 20" or 22" LCD computer monitors that give 1680x1050 resolution, with a response time of 5ms or so. There are models from Samsung, LG, Viewsonic and Dell, (probably others as well) but some of these might only provide 6 bit colour per pixel. LG claims 8 bits per pixel but I'm not sure about the others.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Major Player

You can do it if you use a converter like this one:

http://www.mayflash.com/vgabox/vga001/vga001.htm

search the forum for 'mayflash' for more info on this...
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #4
Trustee

Hi Steven. That converter is for RGBHV which has separate Hsync and Vsync signals. Salar says his monitor has separate RGB plugs which I assume means sync-on-green. Worth checking though.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Richard, You're right, I didn't read enough into the startpost. So on top of it you'd also need something like this:

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/...n-green_en.php

Or a direct converter, wouldn't know where to find that, though...
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #6
New Boot

Hi Folks, thanks!
But... the adapter should be for YUV to RGB. I gues VGA is not the same as YUV?
All the best, Salar
Salar Ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar Ghazi View Post
I gues VGA is not the same as YUV?
Hi Salar. VGA is RGB, which includes 3 signal lines for the R, G , and B video, plus 2 extra for the horizontal and vertical synchronisation pulses. This is the RGBHV that I mentioned earlier.

YUV has the luminance signal on the Y line, and this signal also includes the sync pulses embedded in the video waveform (composite sync). Y on its own can give you a full video image on a monitor, but there is no colour information so everything will be greyscale.

The U and V lines are called colour difference signals. U is R-Y and V is B-Y, and since Y is made up of R, G and B (in certain proportions), the green signal can also be derived from the YUV lines.

So in short, you are correct, VGA is not the same as YUV. :)

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders