"card to camera" not highlighted? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 13th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Major Player

"card to camera" not highlighted?

On Sunday i bought a USB SD card reader and downloaded the presets off this site. When i go in to the customize section of the menu theres a long rectangular panel on the left that i'm supposed to scroll down to the Card to Camera option, but the third option (the one i'm after) does not light up, and is thus inaccessible. I have tried taking out the card and putting it back again a couple of times but still no recognition by the camera. Any ideas?
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The presets should be downloaded and saved to a folder on the card (that you create) named PRESET....singular, all CAPS.

One other consideration....did you format (prepare) the card in camera or using your OS and new card reader?
Dearl Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Also there's no real need to move the presets from the card to the camera. You can access them from the card just as easily as if they were in the camera.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #4
Major Player

Dearl and Chris,

Yes i did call it PRESET.
No i didn't format the card in OS or camera. Is that likely to be the problem?
I'm on the mac if that's relevant in any way?
I got so bored trying to do it last night that i finally dialled in the panalook preset manually and renamed it as preset no 4 in my camera, and naturlo as no 5. Still it would be nice to have the option of having all 18 available on the card. No, i don't need to have them on the camera.
Thanks for your help.
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Format the card in the camera, then move one of the three included presets over to the card. That should correctly establish the PRESET folder and allow the camera to see those files once you've downloaded them again.

Old March 14th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Chris.
You wrote `"Format the card in the camera, then move one of the three included presets over to the card." and sure enough i now have access to the card. However, when i follow the instructions on page 77 (as opposed to 81 - A pal version difference?) "loading a custom preset from the memory card" i click on the blue import option but there's nothing to select. I take the card out (yet again) and insert it into the card reader on my mac and it seems all 18 presets are present. I put it back in the camera and NADA. There is a green card icon on the LCD with the number 13 to the right of it in white numbers. sorry to go on but it seems that i'm not quite there yet.
Any thoughts?
Old March 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson View Post
There is a green card icon on the LCD with the number 13 to the right of it in white numbers.
Hi Dom, that just tells you that you have the ability to take 13 still photos before the card fills up. If this is in the upper right hand corner of the screen, then it's also telling you that you're in "card camera" (still photo) mode. Put it back in video mode using the slide switch on the back right side of the camera.

Now try this test. Press the CP on / off button on the bottom left side of the camera in order to activate the presets. Now use the CP select button next to it, in order to advance through all of the preset files. You should be able to cycle through all nine in the camera's memory and then it will automatically jump to those on the card. There will be a little card icon next to the CP number to tell you that you're cycling through the ones on the card. Does that work?

Old March 14th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #8
Major Player

OK Chris :
I press on/off custom button,a CP icon flashes with a 1 next to it.
I press the select button next door and go through to 9 which is followed by a smaller cp icon with a 1 beside it. I push again and i get a flashing (back to large size) CP off icon, which is followed by the CP 1 again and so forth....
Thanks for helping out Chris

Hang on. I TURNED IT OFF INSTEAD OF ON...DOH! however once turned on i'm just going round in circles from one to nine. What concerns me is that when i press the import button nothing happens suggesting there's nothing there, or more likely that the cameras not reading them.

Just put the card in to my mac (again) and opened the folder titled PRESET. there is a greyed out file called PRESET01.CPF I think this is one that i copied from my camera as you suggested Chris. Then there are the 18 files i downloaded but they are white with HTTP @ written on them. The names of the files are PRESET01.CPF.webloc etc and are not the same as the one i captured off the cam. There final file is the one with all the presets on it and is also called .webloc and had an @http like the other 18. Was i supposed to do something to these files before i put them in the PRESET folder?

Last edited by Dom Stevenson; March 14th, 2007 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Update2
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson View Post
...they are white with HTTP @ written on them. The names of the files are PRESET01.CPF.webloc etc and are not the same as the one i captured off the cam.
Well that is definitely the problem then. The file names must be PRESET01.CPF, PRESET02.CPF etc. and nothing else... it's the "webloc" and "http" that's messing you up. The camcorder can't recognize that. The file extension must be .CPF and nothing else.

Old March 14th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #10
Major Player

Chris...You're a star. And I'm an idiot.
You've made my day - or night i should say. I have to get up in a few hours, but i can't wait till the weekend when i can get out and start playing with these things.
Many thanks for all your help this evening.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders