Shooting in SD looking orange and soft at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM   #1
New Boot

Shooting in SD looking orange and soft

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum but it looks like there is a lot of great information. I got my a1 a month ago. I shoot events for a few guys...some in HDV and some in SD. Maybe it's just me as the operator but a lot of my footage looks orange and really soft. My pd170 was getting much better images. Would you have any ideas? I see so many posts about the a1 shooting really nice sd but for some reason I am not getting the footage I like. I'm sure it's me so if any of you have good advice, please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

Ari
Ari Perilstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Have you tried any of the presets?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:48 PM   #3
New Boot

presets

I just dl some of the presets but the real test will be in the field. I am shooting weddings in low light situations. Which one of the presets would help me the best? Obviously the lowlight preset but anyone else using another preset? Do some of you use the auto white balance and notice the poor job that it does?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Ari,

wouldn't complain at all about white balance of the A1 but I share your observations regarding 'soft image' in SD / low light - when using the cam 'right out of the box'.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=87214

You just have to tweak some settings. My workaround was to enhance 'sharpness' and to reduce 'coring'
Jan Luethje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:00 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Jan...

On another note....I use manual and the color looks very pale. I actually went into the settings to bring the color gain way up to give it some color. When I do this the image looks more orange. Any idea why that happens? Are there any wedding guys out there that have similar issues with lack of color?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:15 PM   #6
Wrangler

My understanding is white balance works by adjusting the gain in the analog section of each color channel prior to A/D conversion. Low light in wedding situations/receptions is often very low color temperature as well, ending to orange. My guess is that the camcorder may be running out of analog gain for white balance in the blue and/or green channels.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:33 PM   #7
Major Player

I can strongly suggest to not use autowhite for most any situations & especially special event stuff where there can be decorative lighting here & there that is on the lighter, brighter end of the scale. Such as yellow or light blue for example. Auto white basically works by sensing the brightest areas & assumes it's white & if there's not enough illuminated white & only sees the colored lights mentioned above, your colors are really gonna get whacky.

Manual WB on something white & it will be closer to proper than it would be if there's an orangish hue, etc.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Busby; March 23rd, 2007 at 10:51 PM. Reason: brain malfunction
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ari,
okay, colors of the A1 look somehow 'pale' by nature, at least under low light circumstances (... sorry for my poor English). But: I am mostly working for public networks here in Europe, and these guys seem to prefer a slightly desaturated look. I'am not at all a nerd regarding technique, just a videojournalist. But some dedicated techs told me: "Just better to have it a little bit pale, 'cause information is there. If we wanna have it more colourful, we just tweak it. These exagerated colors of typical amateur cams are worse."

So... Depending on your post opp., a slightly pale look is not necessarily a disadvantage.

Regarding balance; that's how I'am used to do it, regardless the type of camera:
#Constant light situation: Do it the manual way.
#Not clear (disco, etc.): use preset
#Never ever use AWB.

Worked out fine so far.
Jan Luethje is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders