Canon Color quality vs Sony at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 24th, 2007, 04:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon Color quality vs Sony

I am about to make the switch, and was wondering for those of you
who did, if you still have rich, beautiful colors after tweaking? I never
have a problem getting beautiful color out of my Sonys, but want to be
sure I get the the same from the Canons.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The Canon does provide an almost limitless number of colour tweaks. I am certainly happy with the way my XH-A1 is setup and I come from a Sony camera background even having the V1e before tha XH-A1. I am sure you could manufacture the Sony cool look with a custom preset with a little work.

Hope that helps

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #3
Major Player

Tony's absolutely right. I'm not a great fan on Canon's "natural" out-of-the-box look. But with a bit of in-camera tweaking and a touch of CC in post (where the jobs allow) I am MORE than happy with the range of different looks I can get from the A1.
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #4
Trustee

Opening up the confessional

My Sony Z1U had very pleasing, vividly saturated colors. So does my Canon HV10. Yet neither is quite right. The Sony took on sort of a bronzed look to the neutral tones. The HV10 is nicely balanced if over saturated, until you get into the shadows where it sometimes takes on color casts.

My XH-A1 is neutral if bland at the default settings. And I don't feel even now I've hit on the colors exactly. Indoors, it's perfect. But outdoors my daylight setting isn't exactly where I want it for cloudy, hazy, overcast. Those are color temperature differences (white balance).

Right now, I have the color saturation at +32, red gain -9. I still don't get the golden warmth I think should be there using a manual white balance card or AWB control. So far, I've had better luck setting the WB to 5800 Kelvin.

The reason for turning down the red gain is that it allows greenery to take on more prominence.

I've tried different combinations and achieved some interesting looks, but the one that remains elusive is the one that expresses the golden rays of sun and green lushness of dusk. I was able to achieve that look very easily with the Sony Z1u.

Hopefully Alex and Tony will share their wisdom about successes hitting the mark with color. I'd rather get it straight from the camera than create it in post.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Major Player

I shot some scenes this morning

with both cameras, and I am really torn. I was on out of the box settings,
manual WB. the custom menus are deep. The colors on the Sony pop,
even if they are cooler in tone, whereas the Canon's are noticeably warmer
and very very slightly muted. Both cams had some noise, but the Sony definitely had a more "video" look to it. I can probably transcode some clips if someone wants to host them.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Try reducing the blue gain and your picture will become more yellow. If you want bronze the you need to reintroduce some of the rd you have taken away instead of removing the red try to boost the green just a little bit. I'm noot canon expert but that is what I would have done in CC to get the result you say you're after.
Teodor Miljevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Teodor.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders