Canon XH-A1 able to play tapes shot on Sony A1U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 25th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon XH-A1 able to play tapes shot on Sony A1U?

Hello everyone! I just sold mt Sony A1U and have just ordered a Canon A1! (go me!)

I have a dozen or so tapes that were all shot on the Sony A1U. Will the Canon be able to play these tapes? They both use the HDV codec, but I was wondering is there was something else...

Thanks!
Adam La Prade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Adam,

The answer is you'll be fine... my question is... how did you sell your A1U. I'm trying to move that cam and there is zero interest!
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply Cesar...

I ended up selling mine on eBay for about $1700. Not the best price I was looking to get, but not bad either. Are you still looking to sell one?

-Adam
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I sold my A1U for the Canon A1 also. I was using the Sony Digital Master tapes with the A1U but have switched to the Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ for use in the Canon. I have not tried using the Sony tapes in the Canon as fear of mixing tape lubricants and possibly clogging the canon head. Any thoughts on this anyone?
John K. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

John,

I was actually wondering if the footage shot on my Sony A1U will play in the Canon A1. I have about 12 or so tapes with footage on them that I'd like to be able to watch again.

Also, I have about 20 brand new Sony tapes that I plan on using for this camera also.
Old March 25th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yeah, I'm still trying to sell mine. Don't want to do eBay because I rather deal with colleagues but if I must I must.
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #7
Contributor

Adam, your A1U-recorded tapes should play back on the Canon. I don't see any reason they shouldn't, unless one of the cameras has a head alignment problem.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I shoot a Canon XL-H1 in 60i mode and my Sony HVR A1u plays them back perfectly.
Of course this in the reverse of your situation, but it is an indication that the Canon should play the tapes from the Sony, since the Sony will play the Canon tapes correctly-again assuming compatible head alignment between the cameras.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders