Firestore C now works properly with HDV 24F QT and FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:58 PM   #1
Major Player

Firestore C now works properly with HDV 24F QT and FCP

Firestore just updated the firmware for the FS-C. It now works with Final Cut Pro and in particular, HDV 108024p mode.

Release Notes:
version 2.1.0.04032307 (for 60HZ systems only):
- Fixed QUICKTIME 1080/24F, 1080/30F, 1080/25F, and 720/25P
- Fixes to handle distruptions in recorded MPEG stream
NOTE: A new track will be created at the point of discontinuity.
- Upon System Reset, the default HD FORMAT is QUICKTIME
- Stores HD/DV FORMAT when switching between HD RECORDER and DV RECORDER mode
- Corrected several Disk Full errors
- Removed FC DV/HD from FUNCTION menu

--Just did a very simple preliminary test, and thankfully it works like it's supposed to now.

I recorded A1 HDV 24F to tape and to the Firestore C simultaneously. The FS-C recognized HDV 24F mode and displayed "1080 24F TC" and sure enough, it was the live HDV timecode that matches tape. You do have to tell it to record in QT HDV format rather than m2t, however.

I shot about 5 clips and all I did was restart the FS-C in disk drive mode. Dragged and dropped the clips into a FCP HDV 1080 24p timeline and simply edited direct from the FS-C with no problems. For an added measure of redundancy, I would of course recommend copying the files to your capture drive, (which IS A HELLUVA LOT FASTER THAN CAPTURING!!)

I even deleted the clips and batch recaptured from tape with no problems. This particular unit can record over 304 minutes of footage direct to disk. You'll need extra batteries to actually use up all that space in one shoot however.

It works as advertised now. This is the way to go if you have to choose between an extra camcorder (for a deck) or DTE technology. The FSC totally bypasses the need to capture from tape, but now you can have the added comfort of knowing that it's all backed up on tape. Shoot both and put the tapes away. Recapture later on from tape if you need to.

Last edited by Barlow Elton; April 3rd, 2007 at 11:57 PM.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Major Player

how did you get one? are you a beta tester? I was called by B&H
and told not till Mid May.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Could you look in the info fields on one of the QT HD files (QTPlayer -> Window -> Show Movie Info) or Show Movie Properties and tell us what it says about the codecs? I'm assuming it's H.264 and AAC but wanted to verify that. Thanks.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi AJ,

The files from the FS-C are identical in info to what FCP HDV 1080 24p QT files would say in the QT Show Info widow. (if they were captured from tape rather than recorded on the FS-C) They are:

Format: Apple HDV 1080p24, 1440 x 1080 (1920x1080)), Millions
16-bit Integer (Big Endian), Stereo, 48.000 kHz

FPS: 23.98

Data Rate: 26.59 mbits/sec

etc, etc. There is no h.264 and AAC. It's the native 24F HDV m2t stream simply modified (not recompressed!) with a QT file wrapper. It might even be demuxed MPEG2 on-the-fly but I'm not sure. All I know is that the QT HDV 24F files are identical to what was recorded to tape and would be identical quality to native m2t capture. I've tested to see if there was a quality difference between raw m2t's and the FCP QT HDV versions-- and there simply is no discernible difference.
Old April 5th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Barton

Any idea when this is supposed to be official. Also do you know if they are going to release the fs-c with the new firmware rev or is this a buy it and download the update deal. Thanks for sharing this....its basically what we thought we had all purchased :)
Jourdan McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Dunno, all I know is I downloaded the latest firmware and it worked with my H1 24F output the way it's supposed to for FCP/QT use.
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #7
Major Player

Barlow,

Thanks for the reply. Guess that was wishful thinking on my part. After posting the question it occured to me that H.264, while it may look great for the data rate, requires one heck of a lot of horsepower to compress (and decompress) - more than could be done in a portable unit unless they comitted to an FPGA.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Barlow

Where exactly on the site did you download these from? Its not the version 2 update is it? If you could let us know that would be great. Thanks.
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #9
Major Player

http://www.focusinfo.com/support/downloads.asp#expand

Go to software downloads and look for the 2.1 update posted on 3/30/07
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #10
Regular Crew

found it ..thank you very much. I wonder why this is not getting as much attention...way cool. Take care.
Old April 6th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #11
Regular Crew

so... out of the box it will natively record mt2 files in 24f 30f and 60i??
James Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jackson View Post
so... out of the box it will natively record mt2 files in 24f 30f and 60i??
Yes, and you can edit directly from the drive if you're in a hurry. It's very cool.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders