Spider Brace at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 7th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Spider Brace

Is anyone in here using it? I just order mine and i plan to use it witm my xh-a1 for weddings and birthdays. I need to know if you can hold just the left handle with left hand and with the right hand use the zoom and record botton. in other words be able to zoom while holding the spiderbrace with the left hand.
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #2
Major Player

I have no idea, but I would think this post would belong elsewhere since this is basically for clips, etc.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The answer is yes you can. However, I find the A1/G1 to be heavy and particularly very front heavy and these braces do little to releave the weight on your arms. I tripod as much as possible.

-Jonathan
Jonathan Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Gentry View Post
The answer is yes you can. However, I find the A1/G1 to be heavy and particularly very front heavy and these braces do little to releave the weight on your arms. I tripod as much as possible.

-Jonathan
I hate tripods. I just use it for vows in church after that I use my monopod. I Bought the spyderbrace for stadiness.
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Mayo View Post
I hate tripods. I just use it for vows in church after that I use my monopod. I Bought the spyderbrace for stadiness.
The moderator can feel free to move my post to the other forum. I din't realized this was the clips section
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Mayo View Post
Is anyone in here using it? I just order mine and i plan to use it witm my xh-a1 for weddings and birthdays. I need to know if you can hold just the left handle with left hand and with the right hand use the zoom and record botton. in other words be able to zoom while holding the spiderbrace with the left hand.
I got one recently for use with my Sony FX1 and have used it at one event. Yes, you can steady it using just the left grip and this is more comfotable than other shoulder braces I've used in the past, because the grip is low enough to let your arm be somewhat relaxed. It's still hard to hold a camera steady for long periods of time but it's good for walking around.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
I got one recently for use with my Sony FX1 and have used it at one event. Yes, you can steady it using just the left grip and this is more comfotable than other shoulder braces I've used in the past, because the grip is low enough to let your arm be somewhat relaxed. It's still hard to hold a camera steady for long periods of time but it's good for walking around.

Thanks. I got the spiderbrace today and all I can say is wow. It's very good for panning and for stadiness. I tried zooming while holding it and i had no problem, so I found the answer to my original question.
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #8
New Boot

Ease of balance help

I added, via a velcro pocket attachment, the means of adding a weight to the back side (rear) of the 'spider'. What goes in the pocket varies depending on what's been added to the front end of the camera - wide angle lens, camera light, shotgun microphone, whatever. The now balanced rig eases the arm load and also smooths out camera movement (pans and tilts).
Bob Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #9
Major Player

Anyway to attach a steady stick to the spider brace? I think that would take teh load off, I am planning on buying both and giving it a try.
Stephen Eastwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders