Tiffen 72mm UV filter takes one for the team! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 9th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tiffen 72mm UV filter takes one for the team!

Hey gang,

So this last weekend I was at the family Easter gathering. I was recording whatever was going on with my XH-A1 throughout the day.

As I was walking through my Aunt's living room my camera hit a handle on her wood burning stove, LENS first.

I nailed it head on. A solid steel handle against the Tiffen 72mm UV filter.

I heard the glass shatter and froze. I looked at the lens and all I could see was broken glass. I was going to puke right there but thought it would ruin Easter so I calmly walked into the kitchen to inspect the damage.

And to my amazement there was not a scratch on the Canon lens.. thank goodness. The UV filter was toast but that's part of why I had it there in the first place.

I've always put a filter on my lenses to protect the camera but that was mainly for scratching and cleaning purposes. While I wouldn't have expected a UV filter to take a bullet for me like this I am happy it did. I've got a replacement on order and put my camera away until it shows up.

Just thought I'd share. I know I'd be crying if I'd have ruined my A1.
Charlie Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Wow. Photos, Charlie?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Wow. Photos, Charlie?
At the time I was just happy nothing major happened to the camera and put it away. I realized later, 45 miles from my Aunt's house, that a picture would have been really good to use when I was posting this story this morning.
Charlie Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #4
Trustee

Man, that was an Eastern miracle. Is something like that would happen to my A1's lens I think I would cry and go into deep depression.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

It would have been really great if the camera had been rolling at the time! :)
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #6
New Boot

A word of advice

I have a floater policy on my camera equipment that should cover something like that. It's not very expensive and it sure came in handy a few years ago when my wife was standing a little too close to a blow hole in Barbados and guess what happened to my Kodak DC 260 (picture the look on her face as she stood there with a $1200 camera in her hands and had a bathtub worth of salt water dumped on her head)?

Cheers D:)
PS I think I would still cry a bit if my Hoya Super HMC UV filter shattered. I like those filters.
Dave Mody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

sweet i have this same filter ;)
David Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Inner Circle

doesnt the A1 have a lens hood? then again if its a handle, then ... anyways..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #9
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

You should sell the rights to this story to Tiffen. :-)
Old April 19th, 2007, 04:25 AM   #10
Regular Crew

We have 25 still photographers in our department all with company gear. I can't tell you how many times this happens--not because they are all careless, but stuff happens when working. Someone slips or is preoccupied and bumps into someting lens first, or the camera on the passenger seat tumbles between the seat and door and when the door is opened from the outside to get it---smash. I think I do about 6 of these each year.

Here is the best way I have found to remove a smashed filter that is stuck on (shown to me by one of the guys at Essex Camera Repair) : DO NOT smash the rest of the glass to get it out !!! you could damage your front element. I hold the camera with the lens verticle (usually between my knees) and with a jewelers saw (or hacksaw if you are brave) cut across the filter ring down to the glass. You will hear a difference when the saw stops cutting metal. Then make a second cut about .5 inches away from the first on the ring down to the glass. Next take needleenose pliers and remove the thin metal "snap" ring that retains the glass (sometimes a little prodding with a screwdriver is necessary) and the glass will fall out. Try to remove the filter--if it will not move because it is dented then grab the ring with the pliers in between the grooves you cut and twist to bend it away from the lens threads and it will fall out. Be careful not to hit the front element ! Doing it this way decreases the chance that you will damage your lens threads.

This process is much easier when the lens being cut is not your own !
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders