Canon releases A1 footage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 12th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #16
Regular Crew

The footage they have used shows off the excellent resolution with the default flat color response. I think for demo purposes it's fine. I am impressed with the size of the file for it's quality and length in 720p. Any ideas what they may have used for settings (speculation of course.)

-Jonathan
Jonathan Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I have to join the underwelmed group . I think both of the segments had some horrendous clipping and strange colorrendition. I don't know if the guys that made the watchmaker are part of this forum but I would really like to know how what their priorities were?
There were so many scenes that were overexposed(Is this the coding or was it that badly overexposed).
I would rather underexpose and deal with the noise than overexpose that much. Another thing I'm wondering was if the material from the movie was CC:d (I really hope it wasn't)(I think most of the material had an overemphasis on red). If not I would like to see the end result to see what they have salvaged maybe many of my questions are unfounded.

The questions are meant for disscussion and not for critisizing the makers of the movie. I just think they have done it differently than I would have done and I'm wondering why?
Teodor Miljevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:14 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Oh, I liked the Watchmaker thingy (that's H1-footage), but I didn't like the Provence holiday video (A1-G1 footage) at all. I made a Spain holiday-video with a digital8 camera back in 2000 and it looks better than that.
Paul Lashmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I have to join the underwelmed group . I think both of the segments had some horrendous clipping and strange colorrendition. I don't know if the guys that made the watchmaker are part of this forum but I would really like to know how what their priorities were?
There were so many scenes that were overexposed(Is this the coding or was it that badly overexposed).
I would rather underexpose and deal with the noise than overexpose that much. Another thing I'm wondering was if the material from the movie was CC:d (I really hope it wasn't)(I think most of the material had an overemphasis on red). If not I would like to see the end result to see what they have salvaged maybe many of my questions are unfounded.

The questions are meant for disscussion and not for critisizing the makers of the movie. I just think they have done it differently than I would have done and I'm wondering why?
Teodor Miljevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Only thing that really really bothers me is that stutter feeling at the movement parts, what exaclty is that? Is it normal in all HDV's? I don't remember seeing it before in other clips. Really annoying, somebody tell me thats not normal.

Alexis
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #21
Disjecta

It's not normal :)

I believe it is an encoding issue but for fast pans in 24fps, there is going to be stuttering. This will also happen when you use a film camera.
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Weiss View Post
steven, if they used your stuff nobody would buy the XLH1.
Except that Steven shot with the H1 for 9 months and produced material that was amazing too. It's not the camera, it's the shooter. For Stephens style of work, the size and ergonomics are better with the A1. The H1 is not necessarily a better camera but a better tool for some people who need the interchangable lens and the SDI outputs.

The fact that Stephen is using the A1 now (at 50% price decrease) and saw no significant depreciation in quality from the H1 is huge. The only reason to buy an H1 is because you like it's unique features and form factor.

Canon knew they were going to cut into the sales of the H1. I was told by someone in the know with Canon that as long as people were buying another Canon camera, they didn't care. And that is what is happening. For every one person that was going to buy an H1 but opted for the A1 instead to sace money, there are probably 20+ people who would have bought a Panasonic or a JVC instead. The tradeoff is well worth it. The difference in profit is made up for in volume.

Peace!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #23
Major Player

Looking now at the H1 footage as well the bars across some of the video seem to be more from their compression/encoding. I've shot with the A1 for three months now and haven't had the artifacts come up like I've seen in either Canon video. I still have lots more paces to put the A1 through but until I see problems with my video, I will remain very pleased with the camera and HDV in general.

Canon fell a tad short in these vids though to really offer a big WOW factor.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I agree with all those unimpressed by the footage. I saw it first a few weeks ago at a camera/video trade show and was underwhelmed. I'm just a newbie with a camera, but the footage looked bland and seemed to emphasize the video, not the film look.

But I bought the XHA1 anyway. Because of the work I saw here by Steven Dempsey and Scharky (that Water clip.)

If I can achieve half the quality of their results, I'll be happy.
Greg Joyce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders