Possible Fix for CA / Color Fringing? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 14th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #16
Trustee

Well the CA looks not as bad from the standpoint of the full frame image.

You can download some wallpapers to fix the other problem in post ;-)

Thanks for posting those. The reason I'm curious about the full frame grabs is not related to the CA, but the observation I had while viewing on the small LCD screen that when viewing barcodes (vertically and horizontally), that the HDF set to "low" increased the resolution and contrast in the horizontal direction, and that DHV set to +9 increased the apparent contrast and resolution in the vertical direction. But it was not scientific at all, I didn't have a proper monitor connected, so moire and aliasing could contribute to a false conclusion being drawn from the LCD screen alone.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith View Post
...Wolfgang's new preset showed a huge amount of fringing (which is a shame because I wanted to use that preset!)
After 3 days of shooting with Wolfgang's presets I have to agree. I like the preset very, very much, but I get quite a lot of fringing.

Thanks, Alex, for your tests!
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #18
Trustee

Although it's been proved that the optical component of the fringing does not completely go away, the observation that Wolfgang's preset makes the problem worse is some justification to say that presets do have an influence. We may disagree on how significant, but the preset I'm using, basically Steven Dempsey's VividRGB but with normal gamma, seems very good about minimizing CA for me with still vibrant color. I really like this preset.

But I should try Wolfgang's also...dumb question but where can I find them?
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #19
Major Player

Tom, here is the the link:

http://www.fxsupport.de/20.html

Just go to line that says:

"Alle vier Presets zum Downloaden: PRESET.zip [ZIP 1KB]"

I used the (slightly modified) -3db preset, the first of Wolfgang's four presets you find in the folder. I'd be very interested in how you like them.
Old April 19th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #20
Major Player

is this with a wide angle or the normal lense on the A1? (or G1?) How bad does it fringe in normal filming?
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #21
Major Player

The fringe is not visible in normal filming. You only see it on areas of particularly high contrast when zoomed out wider than half way.
Old July 5th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I downloaded the promotional video for the XH-A1/G1 from Canon (I think they took it out of circulation) and many of the scenes had fairly significant CA. I have to say that it does not look like the CA that I am used to with still cameras, it was not a sharp fringe, but a gradual color shift around edges that looks more like a prism effect. It may be a design issue with the prism that is used to split the colors up for the three sensors. It is the most significant issue that is keeping me from buying the XH-A1. If you just look at the central part of the image, it looks very good.
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Petersen View Post
I downloaded the promotional video for the XH-A1/G1 from Canon (I think they took it out of circulation) and many of the scenes had fairly significant CA. I have to say that it does not look like the CA that I am used to with still cameras, it was not a sharp fringe, but a gradual color shift around edges that looks more like a prism effect. It may be a design issue with the prism that is used to split the colors up for the three sensors. It is the most significant issue that is keeping me from buying the XH-A1. If you just look at the central part of the image, it looks very good.
I did some further tests. The fringing that I see on the computer monitor is not as noticeable on a 1080P 65" DLP TV. It is still there, but you have to look for it. I think that most people would not notice it. I saved the frames to a USB key, which plugs into the TV to display 1920x1080 pixel images full screen. The pictures look very good. I compared them to images from a Sony FX7/A1U Camcorder and they were comparable. The Canon images were slightly less vibrant, maybe a little flat, but still very pleasing. In some instances, you would probably prefer the less vibrant (more filmlike) images from the Canon.
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders