DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Choppy 24f. How can it be shot to look more fluid? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/91353-choppy-24f-how-can-shot-look-more-fluid.html)

Ian G. Thompson May 10th, 2007 06:19 AM

Personally i think the descriptions so far explains it best other than actually sampling some of the videos on this forum or elsewhere in 24P/fps. It's hard to explain other than describing the stutter some people notice and others don't really pick up on (some to greater extent than others). Your different shutter speeds will affect the motion blur etc.

For example, if you want good slow motion then 60i at a faster than standard shutter speed (1/120 or maybe 1/250)) would give a more fluid type of motion (almost no motion blur). But if you step up to a shutter speed of 1/500 and fasater then you will still get a clean look but you start to introduce another type of strobe like effect (which may or may not be what you want).

So the bottom line is 24fps/P will have a stutter (noticable to some and not necessarily to others) and shutter speeds can dictate how much blur you will have in the footage etc. Check out several of the different productions other users did on this site and that can help answer your question.

Alain Mayo May 10th, 2007 07:29 AM

That's exactly what I'm noticing some type of stutter whe people move. Any solution to this? or that's just the way it is?.I'm sorry asking to much about it I just want to know if I make a documentary or a movie people won't complain of this stutter .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian G. Thompson (Post 676413)
Personally i think the descriptions so far explains it best other than actually sampling some of the videos on this forum or elsewhere in 24P/fps. It's hard to explain other than describing the stutter some people notice and others don't really pick up on (some to greater extent than others). Your different shutter speeds will affect the motion blur etc.

For example, if you want good slow motion then 60i at a faster than standard shutter speed (1/120 or maybe 1/250)) would give a more fluid type of motion (almost no motion blur). But if you step up to a shutter speed of 1/500 and fasater then you will still get a clean look but you start to introduce another type of strobe like effect (which may or may not be what you want).

So the bottom line is 24fps/P will have a stutter (noticable to some and not necessarily to others) and shutter speeds can dictate how much blur you will have in the footage etc. Check out several of the different productions other users did on this site and that can help answer your question.

Will Griffith May 10th, 2007 07:38 AM

It's really how you move the camera that makes the 24f or 24p
"stutter" less obvious.

I have 30 second spot that has both 24f @ 1/48 and 60i @ 1/250
converted to 24p. Email me if you want to see it.

griffithwb msha com

Will Griffith May 10th, 2007 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Gorski (Post 675784)
Has anyone shot 1080 30fps with a high shutter speed to get that action look?

Tell me where to post it or I'll email it.

Bill Pryor May 10th, 2007 09:48 AM

It looks smooth to me. Just like any 24fps source. Fast horizontal motion will strobe a bit, just like film.

Alain Mayo May 10th, 2007 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 676564)
It looks smooth to me. Just like any 24fps source. Fast horizontal motion will strobe a bit, just like film.

So do you think I'm doing something wrong if I see strobiness or sttuter in steady shots at 24f 1/48 ?