Live Video - A1 under worst conditions... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 12th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #1
New Boot

Live Video - A1 under worst conditions...

...in a dark club.

http://www.madetomasquerade.de/video...n_h264.mov.zip

everything handheld with one camera.

enjoy;)
Max Huettermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Trustee

Max,

I think you've done a really nice job with this, mostly for capturing the energy and personality of the band, without ever pushing the grunge-i-ness of your shooting style so far that it starts take attention away from them. A few of the shots look a little flat and could benefit from a some tweaking, but most of it looks just about right for the band and genre of music. The only quibble I would mention is in the editing, specifically when the singer starts...you've got 3 or 4 cuts before you go to one of him singing, and that bugged me...I'd cut to him as soon as the vocals come in. Nice job otherwise.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Absolutely loooove the look and feel you got out of this! What preset did you use?

Man, if I compare this to the lame and cheesy pictures Canon released today, I would know which camera I wanted to buy!
Paul Lashmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #4
Major Player

max, great video!
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

i am impressed with one camera, they way you cut/edited looked like you had multiple, did you just use "scenes" from later in the song that you filmed and put them at the beginning? heh?

also, for the audio did you use external audio (like mp3)? or the mic on the camera? or (mixer into camera?)
Eric Sipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #6
New Boot

Great Job!

Great job Max! How many takes did you do of the performance? Your continuity was right on point! Looks like everything was happening in one continuous take. Did you flatten the color or is that just how it came out of the camera?
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #7
Major Player

Also thought the video was great with excellent energy for the band.

I'm also very curious as to how you worked this seemlessly with one camera handheld. I'm assuming you shot the one song straight thru and then used bits from other songs to mix in with it.

But for the audio, did you record directly from the mixing board while recording the one song or mix that in after?

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #8
New Boot

Hi everyone, sorry for answering that late...

Eric, you´re right, only a few shots are synchron to the original song.
I just shot the whole concert and picked out the best scenes. It wasn´t a video shoot, I just wanted to test the camera and now my brother´s band has a little clip for they´re myspace site.
Even the music is not from the concert itself but a rough mix from their new recording.
I desaturated the colors and turned them more into yellow because erverything was too red in my opinion.
I shot in 25 f mode, unfortunately I can´t remember the preset.

Max.
Max Huettermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #9
Major Player

Max that was very good footage for "the worst conditions" a real testament to how well the A1 hold up. Nice grading as well, you gave it like a CSI Miami feel like at the end of the performance someone was gonna die or be found dead, a really nice pro looking look!

In situations like this with all the zooming at all and only a single camera to get it with do you use autofocus? Because if you do that's really good for lowlight and I never once felt like it was hunting or anything. Great job!
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. King View Post
In situations like this with all the zooming at all and only a single camera to get it with do you use autofocus? Because if you do that's really good for lowlight and I never once felt like it was hunting or anything. Great job!
At first I tried the instant autofocus but after 2 songs I switched to manual focus. As you can see at timecode 00:00:29 the autofocus wasn´t able to handle the situation.
Max Huettermann is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders