Line In on the XH-A1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 19th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I used a Sennheiser shotgun mic and Samson UHF wireless in the XLR terminals on line in and used the attenuation switch at the terminal to lower the shotgun. So perhaps a mic level input from your field mixer via the XLR would work.

Bill in Ohio
Bill Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipjaz Savoie View Post
Is anyone using a field mixer (Sound Devices, PSC, etc.) with their A1? I always try to use line level out of my field mixer but the A1 just doesn't seem to like it - the level is extremely low on my A1 meters. I've got to turn the CH1 & CH2 pots up to MAX to get decent levels, but this just doesn't seem right. I'm nearly certain I've got everything set correctly... "Line" switch set above the XLR jacks, XLR>ON in the menu, Audio Level set to manual. Am I missing something obvious? I can't imagine that everyone is setting their levels to MAX when they use line in from a mixer. I'm thinking the line level my mixers send out is different from the line level the A1 is looking for - does anyone know the details on this? Many thanks!
I have not used a field mixer in many years, but the last time I did it was a shure mixer, and it output a mic level signal ( 600 ohms ?? ) and the inputs on the camera was set to " MIC " ( not LINE ) The inputs were set to LINE only if the mixer was a studio mixer that output +4db signals. I suspect some or all field mixers output a mic level signal to make it easier to match the mic input levels on the camera when set to MIC. Try setting your input levels to Mic,this just might work. I dont own a field mixer to test this out.
Jay Yellamaty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders