Display setting to show focal length at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 15th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Display setting to show focal length

Hi:

Is there a way to configure the display to show focal length rather than the zoom bar?

I have noted that the wide angle suffers distortion, straight lines are not straight, so I like to determine minimal zoom for lines to be straight. This is easier with a number rather than the zoom bar.

Thanks, Erik
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Erik. You can use the Custom Functions to display the zoom level as a number instead of the bar. This will give you the control you want. Check out the thread below for the procedure.

Richard

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ustom+function
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, got it (sorry for the repost). I had hoped though that it would show zoom as focal length in mm, and coming from 35mm photography, choice of equivalent focal length would be great...

He he, and while messing around I have found you can set which direction the iris, focus and zoom rings turns. I have Nikon SLR and Nikon have it opposite of Canon - neat.

Cheers, Erik
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Norgaard View Post
I had hoped though that it would show zoom as focal length in mm, and coming from 35mm photography, choice of equivalent focal length would be great...
There's Object Distance Unit Display (OBJ DST UNIT in the menu) which allows a choice between displaying feet or meters. You can always choose whether to have this displayed always or only when the zoom ring is used.

This is not the same as the Zoom Indicator (bars or number) as mentioned before.

Look again in the Custom Function #11 settings.

Bill

*edit* Disregard... I mis-read :-\ Apparently I can't distinguish between zoom & focus when I 1st get out of bed :-|

Last edited by Bill Busby; April 15th, 2007 at 11:19 AM. Reason: brain malfunction
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders