DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH-A1: capable of V1U-like latitude? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/91730-xh-a1-capable-v1u-like-latitude.html)

Brandon Freeman April 17th, 2007 11:59 AM

XH-A1: capable of V1U-like latitude?

Hey there!

I'm utilizing boards like this to make a decision on which camera to purchase eventually, and I appreciate everyone's honesty thus far about their respective cameras.

Question for XH-A1 users:

Can you get the same amount of latitude from an A1 as you can from a V1U?

Alex Leith April 17th, 2007 12:53 PM

Yes. No matter what the marketing bumph from Sony says, the actual latitude is very similar. The A1 has a very healthy dynamic range for a prosumer camcorder.

Piotr Wozniacki April 17th, 2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Freeman (Post 661987)
Hey there!

I'm utilizing boards like this to make a decision on which camera to purchase eventually, and I appreciate everyone's honesty thus far about their respective cameras.

Question for XH-A1 users:

Can you get the same amount of latitude from an A1 as you can from a V1U?

The A1 has IMHO no more than one full stop less of latitude than a properly adjusted V1. Have done comparisons of both with the very same scenes. This might be attributeable not just to the EIP, but also the more agrressive low knee setting on the V1.

Alex Leith April 17th, 2007 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 662062)
The A1 has IMHO no more than one full stop less of latitude than the properly adjusted V1. Have done comparisons of both of the very same scenes.

Adam Wilt, who tested the A1 and the V1, seems to have come to a similar conclusion:

8.3 Stops for the A1
8.3-9 Stops for the V1

Adam said that in his tests pictures shot at the same time with the Z1, V1, XH-A1, and HVX200 all handle highlights in a very similar way. Out of the cameras the V1 was about a stop slower than the A1, with the HVX200 being the fastest in terms of low-light.

The review of the V1 is here http://www.dv.com/reviews/reviews_it...leId=196602843 and the A1 here http://www.dv.com/reviews/reviews_it...leId=196602584

Simon Dean April 17th, 2007 02:39 PM

Am I confused? Piotr said; A1 has 1 stop less latitude. Adam Wilt says; V1 is 1 stop slower.

So Piotr, you don't agree with Adam Wilt? Or have I read it wrong?

Alex Leith April 17th, 2007 02:45 PM

The V1 is slower (is less sensitive in low light) but has a wider dynamic range (from dark to bright without losing the highlights).

Brandon Freeman April 17th, 2007 03:03 PM

So right now this is what it's looking like:

HVR-V1U PROS:
True Progressive CMOS
Wider Latitude

HVR-V1U CONS:
Rolling shutter effect on fast moving images
Performance suffers severely in low-light (as per Adam Wilt review)
No video output (w/o special cabling)

XH-A1 PROS:
More customizable controls for imaging
No rolling shutter
Near full-res 24f mode (with CCDs that are higher rez than the Sony's to begin with)
Better low-light performance

XH-A1 CONS:
More apparent CA (chromic aberration) especially on the wide angle

That CA really does worry me.

Alex Leith April 17th, 2007 03:08 PM

In fact the actual amount of CA is comperable on both cameras under similar lighting condition BUT for some reason it sticks out like a sore thumb on the A1!

There is certainly more noticable fringing on the V1 than the Z1/FX1. And it's more noticable on the Z1 than the HVX200.

Just be thankful that you're not looking at a JVC GY-HD100 with an early lens!

Brandon Freeman April 17th, 2007 03:21 PM

Is the CA really terrible? Sore thumb sounds disheartening...

It's like I have to choose between high resolution without rolling shutter but with noticeable CA, true progressive with rolling shutter and still noticeable CA (though less), or stick with my HVR-Z1U with less resolution in CF25 mode but no visible CA!

Aack!

Maybe I should wait until the next generation pops up. :(

Piotr Wozniacki April 17th, 2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Dean (Post 662090)
Am I confused? Piotr said; A1 has 1 stop less latitude. Adam Wilt says; V1 is 1 stop slower.

So Piotr, you don't agree with Adam Wilt? Or have I read it wrong?

Simon, I said the A1's latitude is "no more than a stop less" which translates to "almost one stop less" than V1's, which is the same as Adam and Alex's observations. Sorry for my English:)

Piotr Wozniacki April 17th, 2007 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Freeman (Post 662102)
That CA really does worry me.

I was more worried with ergonomics (great, but inferior to V1's) and the build quality (again less solid than that of the V1). But this is just me; both are great cameras.

Alex Leith April 17th, 2007 03:31 PM

The CA isn't terrible. Most of the time you don't see it at all. But when it's there it's REALLY there. It comes across as a much more "vibrant" outline than any other camera I've seen.

It bugs me probably just as much as rolling shutter would (ie. it's a fairly infrequent annoyance).

PS. Piotr - I think your English is excellent! From the way you write I would have no idea that it wasn't your native tongue.

Bill Pryor April 17th, 2007 03:50 PM

I don't see the CA on most things I shoot, which are mostly people, scenes with actors, etc. It's on most all cameras except much more expensive ones. In fact, it's worse on the DSR500, which has a $15K lens.

Brandon Freeman April 17th, 2007 05:05 PM

I've not seen CA on my HVR-Z1U, so I've obviously never shot in an environment that is treacherous to this camera in that regard (actors, interviews, good lighting, bad lighting, in door, outdoor, zoomed in, wide, etc).

Question for A1 users: what environments where you shooting in that aggravated the CA? This is a major obstacle keeping me from pursuing the A1 at the moment and would like to know, unlearned as I am in this regard, what situations cause the CA in general.

Simon Dean April 17th, 2007 05:18 PM

Piotr - your English is fine, it's my eyes and brain at this time of night. For some reason I was only thinking of the highlight end and not the black end.

I've not seen CA on my stuff. The clips I've seen it in are more contrasty and 'simple', e.g. branches against a bright sky. Personally I don't think it's bad enough to put some off the moving picture - if you're watching the content rather than the image you'll never see it (IMHO).