XH-A1: capable of V1U-like latitude? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 17th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #1
Major Player

XH-A1: capable of V1U-like latitude?

Hey there!

I'm utilizing boards like this to make a decision on which camera to purchase eventually, and I appreciate everyone's honesty thus far about their respective cameras.

Question for XH-A1 users:

Can you get the same amount of latitude from an A1 as you can from a V1U?
Brandon Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes. No matter what the marketing bumph from Sony says, the actual latitude is very similar. The A1 has a very healthy dynamic range for a prosumer camcorder.
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Freeman View Post
Hey there!

I'm utilizing boards like this to make a decision on which camera to purchase eventually, and I appreciate everyone's honesty thus far about their respective cameras.

Question for XH-A1 users:

Can you get the same amount of latitude from an A1 as you can from a V1U?
The A1 has IMHO no more than one full stop less of latitude than a properly adjusted V1. Have done comparisons of both with the very same scenes. This might be attributeable not just to the EIP, but also the more agrressive low knee setting on the V1.
Old April 17th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
The A1 has IMHO no more than one full stop less of latitude than the properly adjusted V1. Have done comparisons of both of the very same scenes.
Adam Wilt, who tested the A1 and the V1, seems to have come to a similar conclusion:

8.3 Stops for the A1
8.3-9 Stops for the V1

Adam said that in his tests pictures shot at the same time with the Z1, V1, XH-A1, and HVX200 all handle highlights in a very similar way. Out of the cameras the V1 was about a stop slower than the A1, with the HVX200 being the fastest in terms of low-light.

The review of the V1 is here http://www.dv.com/reviews/reviews_it...leId=196602843 and the A1 here http://www.dv.com/reviews/reviews_it...leId=196602584
Old April 17th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Am I confused? Piotr said; A1 has 1 stop less latitude. Adam Wilt says; V1 is 1 stop slower.

So Piotr, you don't agree with Adam Wilt? Or have I read it wrong?
Simon Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #6
Major Player

The V1 is slower (is less sensitive in low light) but has a wider dynamic range (from dark to bright without losing the highlights).
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #7
Major Player

So right now this is what it's looking like:

HVR-V1U PROS:
True Progressive CMOS
Wider Latitude

HVR-V1U CONS:
Rolling shutter effect on fast moving images
Performance suffers severely in low-light (as per Adam Wilt review)
No video output (w/o special cabling)

XH-A1 PROS:
More customizable controls for imaging
No rolling shutter
Near full-res 24f mode (with CCDs that are higher rez than the Sony's to begin with)
Better low-light performance

XH-A1 CONS:
More apparent CA (chromic aberration) especially on the wide angle

That CA really does worry me.
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #8
Major Player

In fact the actual amount of CA is comperable on both cameras under similar lighting condition BUT for some reason it sticks out like a sore thumb on the A1!

There is certainly more noticable fringing on the V1 than the Z1/FX1. And it's more noticable on the Z1 than the HVX200.

Just be thankful that you're not looking at a JVC GY-HD100 with an early lens!
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #9
Major Player

Is the CA really terrible? Sore thumb sounds disheartening...

It's like I have to choose between high resolution without rolling shutter but with noticeable CA, true progressive with rolling shutter and still noticeable CA (though less), or stick with my HVR-Z1U with less resolution in CF25 mode but no visible CA!

Aack!

Maybe I should wait until the next generation pops up. :(
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Dean View Post
Am I confused? Piotr said; A1 has 1 stop less latitude. Adam Wilt says; V1 is 1 stop slower.

So Piotr, you don't agree with Adam Wilt? Or have I read it wrong?
Simon, I said the A1's latitude is "no more than a stop less" which translates to "almost one stop less" than V1's, which is the same as Adam and Alex's observations. Sorry for my English:)
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Freeman View Post
That CA really does worry me.
I was more worried with ergonomics (great, but inferior to V1's) and the build quality (again less solid than that of the V1). But this is just me; both are great cameras.
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #12
Major Player

The CA isn't terrible. Most of the time you don't see it at all. But when it's there it's REALLY there. It comes across as a much more "vibrant" outline than any other camera I've seen.

It bugs me probably just as much as rolling shutter would (ie. it's a fairly infrequent annoyance).

PS. Piotr - I think your English is excellent! From the way you write I would have no idea that it wasn't your native tongue.
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #13
Contributor

I don't see the CA on most things I shoot, which are mostly people, scenes with actors, etc. It's on most all cameras except much more expensive ones. In fact, it's worse on the DSR500, which has a $15K lens.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #14
Major Player

I've not seen CA on my HVR-Z1U, so I've obviously never shot in an environment that is treacherous to this camera in that regard (actors, interviews, good lighting, bad lighting, in door, outdoor, zoomed in, wide, etc).

Question for A1 users: what environments where you shooting in that aggravated the CA? This is a major obstacle keeping me from pursuing the A1 at the moment and would like to know, unlearned as I am in this regard, what situations cause the CA in general.
Old April 17th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Piotr - your English is fine, it's my eyes and brain at this time of night. For some reason I was only thinking of the highlight end and not the black end.

I've not seen CA on my stuff. The clips I've seen it in are more contrasty and 'simple', e.g. branches against a bright sky. Personally I don't think it's bad enough to put some off the moving picture - if you're watching the content rather than the image you'll never see it (IMHO).
Simon Dean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders