Overscan at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 19th, 2007, 05:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Overscan

I'm not keen on the fact you can't see the whole image in the LCD. I've used firewire to monitor the full image, but I don't have a proper LCD monitor yet. So, dumb questions coming up.

If you use the component output do you get the full image?
What about the composite?
I tried a cheapo in-car LCD screen and that didn't show the full image either. Other than through firewire is it possible to see the whole image?

Guidance please!
Simon Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Simon. I would say it's just the monitor that hides the edges of the frame so which video output you select won't really matter. CRT production monitors use to have an Overscan/Underscan setting that allowed you to see the entire frame. Not sure about "proper" LCD monitors because I don't have one either.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Have you tried it with one of those CRT monitors then? Does the 'missing' part bother you or do you use firewire monitoring?

...I've just had bas experience of microphones creeping into shot...
Simon Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #4
Major Player

You get the full image with the component out. I am running component out to a LCD TV (not the car models) and I ge the full image onscreen. I cant comment on the other outputs.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post
You get the full image with the component out. I am running component out to a LCD TV (not the car models) and I ge the full image onscreen. I cant comment on the other outputs.
Hi Bill. What you see is a function of the panel design. Since the video is an analogue signal and the display is digital, there is an A/D conversion involved and the timing point for sampling the active video may not be consistent from panel to panel. Overall though, there should be much less overscan compared with a CRT.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders